Quantcast

Dell 370 bluetooth minicard

Raoul MEGELAS-2

Hello,

On my Dell E6400 the Dell bluetooth 370 wireless minicard (a CBM2046B&?)
if i am right, does not attach to any driver.
i tried several drivers and of course loaded ng_ubt.
but rc.bluetooth start ubt0 reply
ngctl: send msg: No such file or directory
FreeBSD current r218726.
It never attached, it is not a version problem.

Is this ship supported by the btbcmfw driver?

Any comment would be helpfull.
thanks.

Raoul

Re: Dell 370 bluetooth minicard

Maksim Yevmenkin-2
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Raoul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On my Dell E6400 the Dell bluetooth 370 wireless minicard (a CBM2046B&?)

i assume its bcm2046b :)

> if i am right, does not attach to any driver.
> i tried several drivers and of course loaded ng_ubt.
> but rc.bluetooth start ubt0 reply
> ngctl: send msg: No such file or directory
> FreeBSD current r218726.
> It never attached, it is not a version problem.

is device recognized at all? i assume it presents itself as usb
device. if its the case ugen(4) should attach to it. do you see any
ugen(4) related messages? what does usbconfig(8) output look like?

also, if you put ng_ubt_load="YES" in your loader.conf you dont need
to manually call rc.bluetooth start ubt0. when bluetooth device is
recognized, devd(8) will automatically call rc.bluetooth and will
start everything.

> Is this ship supported by the btbcmfw driver?

i assume you mean ubtbcmfw(4). if so, then no, its not. ubtbcmfw(4) is
a firmware driver for bcm2033 chips.

> Any comment would be helpfull.

lets start and see if card is recognized at all, i.e. ugen(4) should
be attaching to all usb devices by default.

thanks,
max

Re: Dell 370 bluetooth minicard

Raoul MEGELAS-2
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:31:10 -0800
Maksim Yevmenkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Raoul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On my Dell E6400 the Dell bluetooth 370 wireless minicard (a CBM2046B&?)
>
> i assume its bcm2046b :)

Sory, a typo: BCM2046B1.

> > if i am right, does not attach to any driver.
> > i tried several drivers and of course loaded ng_ubt.
> > but rc.bluetooth start ubt0 reply
> > ngctl: send msg: No such file or directory
> > FreeBSD current r218726.
> > It never attached, it is not a version problem.

> is device recognized at all? i assume it presents itself as usb
> device. if its the case ugen(4) should attach to it. do you see any
> ugen(4) related messages? what does usbconfig(8) output look like?

you are right (i forgot that, do we need a quirk?

    usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 dump_all_config_desc:

ugen0.2: <BCM2046B1 Broadcom> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE

 Configuration index 0

    bLength = 0x0009
    bDescriptorType = 0x0002
    wTotalLength = 0x0019
    bNumInterfaces = 0x0001
    bConfigurationValue = 0x0001
    iConfiguration = 0x0000  <no string>
    bmAttributes = 0x00e0
    bMaxPower = 0x002f

    Interface 0
      bLength = 0x0009
      bDescriptorType = 0x0004
      bInterfaceNumber = 0x0000
      bAlternateSetting = 0x0000
      bNumEndpoints = 0x0001
      bInterfaceClass = 0x0009
      bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0000
      bInterfaceProtocol = 0x0000
      iInterface = 0x0000  <no string>

     Endpoint 0
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0081  <IN>
        bmAttributes = 0x0003  <INTERRUPT>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0001
        bInterval = 0x00ff
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

> lets start and see if card is recognized at all, i.e. ugen(4) should
> be attaching to all usb devices by default.

best regards

Raoul

Re: Dell 370 bluetooth minicard

Iain Hibbert
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Raoul wrote:

> ugen0.2: <BCM2046B1 Broadcom> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE

I found some comments with Google that perhaps you need to convert this
device from HID->HCI mode, this should be possible with the ubthidctl(1)
utility but I don't know if thats in base or ports now?

  http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/user/rpaulo/ubthidctl/

regards,
iain

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Raoul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:31:10 -0800
> Maksim Yevmenkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Raoul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > On my Dell E6400 the Dell bluetooth 370 wireless minicard (a CBM2046B&?)
>>
>> i assume its bcm2046b :)
>
> Sory, a typo: BCM2046B1.
>
>> > if i am right, does not attach to any driver.
>> > i tried several drivers and of course loaded ng_ubt.
>> > but rc.bluetooth start ubt0 reply
>> > ngctl: send msg: No such file or directory
>> > FreeBSD current r218726.
>> > It never attached, it is not a version problem.
>
>> is device recognized at all? i assume it presents itself as usb
>> device. if its the case ugen(4) should attach to it. do you see any
>> ugen(4) related messages? what does usbconfig(8) output look like?
>
> you are right (i forgot that, do we need a quirk?

thanks! no, quirk would not help it, imo. could you please also
provide device and vendor IDs? better yet, please provide output of

usbconfig dump_device_desc

>    usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 dump_all_config_desc:
>
> ugen0.2: <BCM2046B1 Broadcom> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE
>
>  Configuration index 0
>
>    bLength = 0x0009
>    bDescriptorType = 0x0002
>    wTotalLength = 0x0019
>    bNumInterfaces = 0x0001
>    bConfigurationValue = 0x0001
>    iConfiguration = 0x0000  <no string>
>    bmAttributes = 0x00e0
>    bMaxPower = 0x002f
>
>    Interface 0
>      bLength = 0x0009
>      bDescriptorType = 0x0004
>      bInterfaceNumber = 0x0000
>      bAlternateSetting = 0x0000
>      bNumEndpoints = 0x0001
>      bInterfaceClass = 0x0009
>      bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0000

hmm.... interesting...  bInterfaceClass is 0x9, i.e. hub. that
explains why ng_ubt(4) is not attaching to the device

>      bInterfaceProtocol = 0x0000
>      iInterface = 0x0000  <no string>
>
>     Endpoint 0
>        bLength = 0x0007
>        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
>        bEndpointAddress = 0x0081  <IN>
>        bmAttributes = 0x0003  <INTERRUPT>
>        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0001
>        bInterval = 0x00ff
>        bRefresh = 0x0000
>        bSynchAddress = 0x0000
>
>> lets start and see if card is recognized at all, i.e. ugen(4) should
>> be attaching to all usb devices by default.

so, we know device is recognized (well at least somewhat). is there a
physical button to turn radio on/off? did you try to press this
button?

thanks,
max

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Iain Hibbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Raoul wrote:
>
>> ugen0.2: <BCM2046B1 Broadcom> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE
>
> I found some comments with Google that perhaps you need to convert this
> device from HID->HCI mode, this should be possible with the ubthidctl(1)
> utility but I don't know if thats in base or ports now?
>
>  http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/user/rpaulo/ubthidctl/

i somewhat doubtful that it would make any difference. it could not to
hurt to give it a try though :)

it almost looks like that this device has its own usb hub and actual
bluetooth device could be behind the hub. however, since ugen(4) is
claiming the device (and not uhub(4)) we never get to see any
device(s) that could be behind the hub.

thanks,
max

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Raoul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maksim,
>
> i have some more informations now.
>
> 1. right, the modem is behind the hub in the BCM2046B1.
> its vendor id is 413C: DELL.
> his product id is 8156.
>
> 2. usbconfig do not see it at all why?

could you please provide device descriptor as i asked? if you have
ugen(4) device attached, then usbconfig(8) should be able to see it
and extract information from it.

> There is no switch to put it on/off. it is always on.

thanks -- its good to know.

> here is the true configuration obtained from debian:
>        for documentation i keep other divices.

thanks, but this is not very much help. i'd like to know what freebsd
thinks about this device and not linux.

> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0a5c:5800 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 413c:8156 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 413c:8158 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Touchpad / Trackstick
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:8157 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Keyboard
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)

i _think_ that device that freebsd sees as ugen(4) is the "ID
0a5c:4500" device. notice that "missing devices" are on the same usb
bus (bus 002) with the increasing id's. i guess this means that
"missing devices" are behind the hub.

we already know that interface class is reported by the device as
"hub". what i'd like to know is what device class is set to. freebsd
uhub(4) driver uses device class to identify device as usb hub.
obviously, if freebsd does not recognize device as usb hub it is not
going to "explore" and find all the devices that might be attached to
the usb hub. quick look at linux's usb hub driver suggest that linux
might be using interface class to identify device as usb hub.

to test the theory, quick hack would be to change uhub_probe() in
/sys/dev/usb/usb_hub.c and forcefully make uhub(4) attach to
device/vendor id 0a5c:4500.

thanks,
max