Quantcast

Dropbox on FreeBSD

12

Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry
I was asked about the feasibility of setting up Dropbox
<https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx> on a FreeBSD machine,
specifically under KDE if possible. I found three references to Dropbox
in the ports tree; however, I am not sure that they are exactly what I
am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this software or
specific information on it?

--
Jerry ♔

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Frank Staals-2
Jerry <[hidden email]> writes:

> I was asked about the feasibility of setting up Dropbox
> <https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx> on a FreeBSD machine,
> specifically under KDE if possible. I found three references to Dropbox
> in the ports tree; however, I am not sure that they are exactly what I
> am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this software or
> specific information on it?

As far as I know it is currently impossible to run dropbox on FreeBSD,
as it requires inotify, as found in the Linux kernel, to detect when
files have changed.

- Frank

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:32:57 +0100
Frank Staals articulated:

> Jerry <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I was asked about the feasibility of setting up Dropbox
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx> on a FreeBSD machine,
> > specifically under KDE if possible. I found three references to
> > Dropbox in the ports tree; however, I am not sure that they are
> > exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with
> > this software or specific information on it?
>
> As far as I know it is currently impossible to run dropbox on FreeBSD,
> as it requires inotify, as found in the Linux kernel, to detect when
> files have changed.

Thanks, I told the individual that I didn't think it would work. I saw
something on a forum regarding it. I don't remember exactly what it
referred to though. It is not going to happen in v.9.x of FreeBSD;
however, perhaps before bumping the version to v.10, someone
might get this resolved. However, sometimes I wonder if certain
individuals are more interested in bumping version numbers as opposed
to putting out fully functional software.

--
Jerry ♔

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Lars Engels-2
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 09:23:47AM -0500, Jerry wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:32:57 +0100
> Frank Staals articulated:
>
> > Jerry <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > I was asked about the feasibility of setting up Dropbox
> > > <https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx> on a FreeBSD machine,
> > > specifically under KDE if possible. I found three references to
> > > Dropbox in the ports tree; however, I am not sure that they are
> > > exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with
> > > this software or specific information on it?
> >
> > As far as I know it is currently impossible to run dropbox on FreeBSD,
> > as it requires inotify, as found in the Linux kernel, to detect when
> > files have changed.
>
> Thanks, I told the individual that I didn't think it would work. I saw
> something on a forum regarding it. I don't remember exactly what it
> referred to though. It is not going to happen in v.9.x of FreeBSD;
> however, perhaps before bumping the version to v.10, someone
> might get this resolved. However, sometimes I wonder if certain
> individuals are more interested in bumping version numbers as opposed
> to putting out fully functional software.
AFAIK the Windows versions works with WINE.

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Frank Staals-2
Lars Engels <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 09:23:47AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:32:57 +0100
>> Frank Staals articulated:

>> > As far as I know it is currently impossible to run dropbox on FreeBSD,
>> > as it requires inotify, as found in the Linux kernel, to detect when
>> > files have changed.
>>
>> Thanks, I told the individual that I didn't think it would work. I saw
>> something on a forum regarding it. I don't remember exactly what it
>> referred to though. It is not going to happen in v.9.x of FreeBSD;
>> however, perhaps before bumping the version to v.10, someone
>> might get this resolved. However, sometimes I wonder if certain
>> individuals are more interested in bumping version numbers as opposed
>> to putting out fully functional software.
>
> AFAIK the Windows versions works with WINE.

What does works mean in this case? It start? It can download the files?
and/or full both-way sync works?

I would imagine that no matter what you would need some sort of kernel
support to detect changes in the file system, and I read somewhere that
kqueue does not provide all the required features. So it would surprise
me a bit if it would be fully functional. I'm not sure about the details
though, so I would be happy to be proven wrong.

--

- Frank

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:23:16 +0100
Lars Engels articulated:

> AFAIK the Windows versions works with WINE.

I never use "wine". I run Windows program sunder Windows, *.nix under
*.nix, etcetera. They run faster, less breakage and just work better.

I have discovered that I can run the program under Windows and have it
access the files I wanted to work with on my FreeBSD machine quite
nicely. Evidently I will not be requiring a FreeBSD version after all.

--
Jerry ♔

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Chris Rees-2
On 19 Dec 2012 14:24, "Jerry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:32:57 +0100
> Frank Staals articulated:
>
> > Jerry <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > I was asked about the feasibility of setting up Dropbox
> > > <https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx> on a FreeBSD machine,
> > > specifically under KDE if possible. I found three references to
> > > Dropbox in the ports tree; however, I am not sure that they are
> > > exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with
> > > this software or specific information on it?
> >
> > As far as I know it is currently impossible to run dropbox on FreeBSD,
> > as it requires inotify, as found in the Linux kernel, to detect when
> > files have changed.
>
> Thanks, I told the individual that I didn't think it would work. I saw
> something on a forum regarding it. I don't remember exactly what it
> referred to though. It is not going to happen in v.9.x of FreeBSD;
> however, perhaps before bumping the version to v.10, someone
> might get this resolved. However, sometimes I wonder if certain
> individuals are more interested in bumping version numbers as opposed
> to putting out fully functional software.

It needs porting to kevent.

Someone may do it for payment, some may do it for fun, but no-one will do
it for you until you learn some manners.

Or you could do it yourself.

Chris

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
Chris Rees articulated:

> It needs porting to kevent.
>
> Someone may do it for payment, some may do it for fun, but no-one
> will do it for you until you learn some manners.
>
> Or you could do it yourself.

I have suggested several times that FreeBSD create a fund specifically
for the hiring of professional programmers to take care of these edge
problems. Or, in the case of poor support for quality wireless devices,
a team devoted to creating drivers for them.

Other OSs have gone this route to varying degrees with good success.
However, FreeBSD continues to lag behind. The FreeBSD team seems more
interested in bumping major version numbers than creating a fully
functional OS. In my opinion, version 9 is really nothing more than
version 7.x.

Since I figured out how to make Dropbox work with the files in question
on my FreeBSD box just fine from an MS Windows machine, I am no longer
interested in getting a native FreeBSD version of Drobbox; although, I
do think it would be a worthwhile endeavor nevertheless.

--
Jerry ♔

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Brooks Davis-2
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:07:05AM -0500, Jerry wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
> Chris Rees articulated:
>
> > It needs porting to kevent.
> >
> > Someone may do it for payment, some may do it for fun, but no-one
> > will do it for you until you learn some manners.
> >
> > Or you could do it yourself.
>
> I have suggested several times that FreeBSD create a fund specifically
> for the hiring of professional programmers to take care of these edge
> problems.
There is such a fund.  http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

-- Brooks

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Brooks Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:07:05AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
> > Chris Rees articulated:
> >
> > > It needs porting to kevent.
> > >
> > > Someone may do it for payment, some may do it for fun, but no-one
> > > will do it for you until you learn some manners.
> > >
> > > Or you could do it yourself.
> >
> > I have suggested several times that FreeBSD create a fund specifically
> > for the hiring of professional programmers to take care of these edge
> > problems.
>
> There is such a fund.  http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
>
> -- Brooks

The above page and the other pages in
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
needs to be more improved .

For example :

In the page
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

there are the following links :

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/announcements.shtml#fundraising
( FreeBSD Foundation's Year-End Fundraising Campaign!  )

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/where.shtml
( Where does your contribution go?  )

No one of the above pages makes a complete list of requirements .

Mainly , donation only some money may NOT be an appropriate solution for a
possible
donor .

In page
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/faqs.shtml

there is a question :
How Can I Donate Some Hardware?

From this question , there is a link to the following page :
http://www.freebsd.org/donations/

In that page , there is the following link :

http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html
( FreeBSD Developers Want List  )

( From this page , it is NOT possible whether the listed requirements are
still existent or not ,
when the dates are inspected . In that form , it may be considered very
unhelpful with the fact that actual ( new ) requirements are buried very
OLD dates . )

After considering the above pages , it is possible to make the following
suggestions :

When a person suggest or specify a new requirement , please do NOT push
him/her away with a smashing sentence : Evry one is NOT either a computer
engineer on ( operating system software or software engineering ) or a
competent software developer / porter . These may be just persons which are
trying to solve their problems with very likely possibility that they are
NOT able to solve their problems by themselves and telling their needs .

Design the following page to serve more informative manner :
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

Insert information about

http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html
( FreeBSD Developers Want List  )

page ( with sorted with respect to ( date , or subject ) , and remove
unnecessary items )

Insert information about names of projects which requires human labour with
estimated costs
( including hardware ) to allow people to donate those projects by
specifying their name(s) either money or hardware .

Insert a form to get new project suggestions with promised possible
donations or requesting a cost estimate ( prepared with respect to a
donated amount specified on that form because to cover cost of required
human labour  ) to donate .
With that facility , people may seek to solve their problem(s) with
guaranteed outcome(s) .

I think the above features will improve this page .

Obviously , there may be a more useful design .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi-5
Strange...

there is a source code distribution of dropbox in the
site the file is: nautilus-dropbox-1.4.0.tar.bz2

it compiles as an extention to nautilus (gnome...)
it needs, nautilus, py-gtk2, gtk-update-icon cache...

it installs and nautilus recognizes it...

attached is a "port"  of dropbox...  (needs gnome2.32)

I do not have a dropbox account but, one who have, should try...

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Lowell Gilbert-4
Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <[hidden email]> writes:

> Strange...
>
> there is a source code distribution of dropbox in the
> site the file is: nautilus-dropbox-1.4.0.tar.bz2
>
> it compiles as an extention to nautilus (gnome...)
> it needs, nautilus, py-gtk2, gtk-update-icon cache...
>
> it installs and nautilus recognizes it...
>
> attached is a "port"  of dropbox...  (needs gnome2.32)

Not really...

> I do not have a dropbox account but, one who have, should try...

For my purposes, the CLI tools that come with the dropbox-api port are
good enough...

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Mark Felder-4
Chris Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It needs porting to kevent.

Last time I talked to the Dropbox guys they said kevent isn't good enough. Something about tracking a large tree is too difficult. Similar to what the dev of lsync said. (rsync daemon that initiaties transfers when it noticies files changing).

I smell bovine feces.

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Chris Rees-2
On 21 Dec 2012 15:54, "Mark Felder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
> Chris Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It needs porting to kevent.
>
> Last time I talked to the Dropbox guys they said kevent isn't good
enough. Something about tracking a large tree is too difficult. Similar to
what the dev of lsync said. (rsync daemon that initiaties transfers when it
noticies files changing).

> I smell bovine feces.

Probably from unfamiliarity.  I'll take a look.

Chris

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Mikhail Kupchik-2
21.12.2012 17:54, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
> Chris Rees<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> It needs porting to kevent.
>>
> Last time I talked to the Dropbox guys they said kevent isn't good enough. Something about tracking a large tree is too difficult. Similar to what the dev of lsync said. (rsync daemon that initiaties transfers when it noticies files changing).

Maybe a FUSE filesystem, kind of "filtering layer" above real
filesystem, can be used to track all changes in the large tree without
consuming kernel resources for each subdirectory?

--
Best regards,
  Mikhail Kupchik                 mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Mark Felder-4
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:27:24 +0200
Mikhail Kupchik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe a FUSE filesystem, kind of "filtering layer" above real
> filesystem, can be used to track all changes in the large tree without
> consuming kernel resources for each subdirectory?

We'll probably have to wait for FUSE to stabilize in FreeBSD first. I tend to not trust much of anything that wants FUSE these days because of the number of kernel panics it's caused. I know there's some significant work in progress, though.

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

mildbeard
There is a votebox on this question on the dropbox site.  The petition to add FreeBSD support to dropbox is in second place on the "most popular" list.  I find that really encouraging.

The petition is actually very close to overtaking the most popular suggestion (adding support for languages other than English.)

For anyone who would run Dropbox on BSD if it were natively supported, voting for this initiative may be the best way to encourage them to add such support.

https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/186/add-support-for-freebsd

Thanks,
Erik

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Joseph A. Nagy, Jr
On 03/05/13 06:04, mildbeard wrote:

> There is a votebox on this question on the dropbox site.  The petition to add
> FreeBSD support to dropbox is in second place on the "most popular" list.  I
> find that really encouraging.
>
> The petition is actually very close to overtaking the most popular
> suggestion (adding support for languages other than English.)
>
> For anyone who would run Dropbox on BSD if it were natively supported,
> voting for this initiative may be the best way to encourage them to add such
> support.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/186/add-support-for-freebsd
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

I have given all my votes to that petition at least twice in the past
several months. I'll do so again and again until it's in ports with
native support. I have nearly 8GB of free space on Dropbox going to waste...

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL
http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Janky Jay, III
On 03/05/2013 05:10 AM, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:

> On 03/05/13 06:04, mildbeard wrote:
>> There is a votebox on this question on the dropbox site.  The petition
>> to add
>> FreeBSD support to dropbox is in second place on the "most popular"
>> list.  I
>> find that really encouraging.
>>
>> The petition is actually very close to overtaking the most popular
>> suggestion (adding support for languages other than English.)
>>
>> For anyone who would run Dropbox on BSD if it were natively supported,
>> voting for this initiative may be the best way to encourage them to
>> add such
>> support.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/186/add-support-for-freebsd
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Erik
>>

>> --
>>

> I have given all my votes to that petition at least twice in the past
> several months. I'll do so again and again until it's in ports with
> native support. I have nearly 8GB of free space on Dropbox going to
> waste...

        Same! I've been voting this up for quite some time. All my votes are
dedicated to this. Hopefully it will be implemented soon. Just keep the
votes coming and I'm sure they'll take it seriously at some point.

Regards,
Janky Jay, III

Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 10:37:17 -0700
Janky Jay, III articulated:

> Same! I've been voting this up for quite some time. All my
> votes are dedicated to this. Hopefully it will be implemented soon.
> Just keep the votes coming and I'm sure they'll take it seriously at
> some point.

Interestingly enough, I worked on a project a while ago that had a
somewhat similar voting setup. However, since it was determined in
advance that some people would inevitable attempt to inflate the
actual voting total by voting numerous times, they put safeguards in
place. One was to eliminate multiple votes from the same IP I believe.

--
Jerry ♔

12