Quantcast

Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Andrei Iarus
Hello,
How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?
Thank you,
Andrei

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister-2
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 08:49:53AM -0700, Andrei Iarus wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?
> Thank you,
> Andrei

Just like any other device.
Or, if it already has an MSDOS filesystem on it, then
you can just mount it as type msdosfs and use it like that.

////jerry

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Brie Gordon
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Andrei Iarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?
> Thank you,
> Andrei

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/

^ Does that help?

Brie A. Gordon
Administradora de Sistemas y Ingeniera de LAN

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Andrew Gould-2
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Andrei Iarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?
> Thank you,
> Andrei

You should be able to use the partition and disklabel modules in
sysinstall.  (Make sure you know the device name so you don't partition the
wrong device!)

Best of luck,

Andrew

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Polytropon
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Andrei Iarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?

Three possibilities in general:

1. Use FreeBSD's UFS file system:

        # newfs /dev/da0

2. Use the MS-DOS file system that is present on most sticks by default

        # mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt

3. Don't use any file system, use tar (max. UNIX interoperability):

        # tar cvf /dev/da0 <files...>

Read the newfs manpage. The examples above use da0 as the name
of the device associated to the USB stick. Check this via dmesg
before eventually running newfs on something important. :-)

        # dmesg | grep ^da

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Andrei Iarus
Yes. Thank you very much.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Andrei Iarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?
> Thank you,
> Andrei

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/

^ Does that help?

Brie A. Gordon
Administradora de Sistemas y Ingeniera de LAN

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Giorgos Keramidas
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Andrei Iarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?

The same way you can format any other disk.

I usually format my USB sticks by creating a single da0s1 slice and then
one (or more) BSD labels in that slice, by typing the commands:

        fdisk -BI /dev/da0
        bsdlabel -w -B /dev/da0s1
        newfs /dev/da0s1a

If they are going to be used by non-BSD systems, I prefer msdosfs, so I
use:

        fdisk -BI /dev/da0
        newfs_msdos /dev/da0s1

The command-line options and what they do will be more obvious if you
read the manpages of fdisk(8), bsdlabel(8), newfs(8), and newfs_msdos(8).

There is also a nice article online that you will probably find useful:

        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html

Re: Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Polytropon
Just an addition:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:05:31 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I usually format my USB sticks by creating a single da0s1 slice and then
> one (or more) BSD labels in that slice, by typing the commands:
>
>         fdisk -BI /dev/da0
>         bsdlabel -w -B /dev/da0s1
>         newfs /dev/da0s1a

If you want to use the USB stick as a whole, you neccessarily
don't need to apply a disklabel to access /dev/da0s1a. You
can simply format the whole device and use /dev/da0 (which is
equivalent to the obsoleted form /dev/da0c, "the whole device").
So this is completely sufficient:

        # newfs /dev/da0

A bit more simple.

--