Quantcast

FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Odhiambo Washington-4
I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.

Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

mdtancsa
On 1/24/2012 10:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
> FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.
>
> Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
> PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.

Most of them just come up as cuaU* devices, but not all.  The method to
use them has not really changed, so chances are what you have found via
google will still work.

Take a look at the relevant man pages.

man u3g

What type of modem do you have ?

        ---Mike

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Alejandro Imass
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
> FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.

Which one? You need to specifiy modem brand/model and network provider
to see if other have got that particular one working. Also check the
Linux crowd (Ubuntu in particular) and then extrapolate to FBSD.

> Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
> PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.

Usually it's just a question of making the kernel mount the tty and
the dial using something like wvdial. If it's popular and supported
it's pretty easy, if not is still possible.

Supporting the modem is usually a two layer problem first solving the
multi-device problem on the USB bus, that is, selecting the correct
device available (i.e. selecting the modem instead of the flash that
contains the windows software), and then the actual kernel or
userspace driver for that specific device (ZTE, Enfora, etc.).

Ultimately, you get a serial modem and you just have to use AT command
to dial, etc. and wvdial does a great job and it's quite easy to
set-up and run.

Good luck,

--
Alejandro

> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> Nairobi,KE
> +254733744121/+254722743223

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

frosty-456
The FreeBSD u3g driver ¶¶

Introduction ¶¶
This driver supports 3G (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA) cards that provide
access to one or more serial ports through a USB interface, providing
PPP and AT command channels simultaneously. Some devices provide
access to multiple pairs of channels for integrated GPS', or other
access methods (Option HSO driver).

Transfer speeds should be above 30k on a good UMTS connection and a
fast server:

% curl -o /dev/null ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz
% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time    Current
Dload      Upload     Total                    Spent   Left             Speed
12 19.9M   12 2486k    0     0  40203      0  0:08:39  0:01:03  0:07:36 43921
Some (older) devices (from Sierra for example) provide 1 serial port
through a normal serial port or the normal serial USB drivers. They
usually support the ETSI / 3GPP 27.010 3GPPMultiplexProtocol, making
it possible to open a AT command channel and a PPP connection channel
simultaneously. A basic implementation which works on an Option
Globetrotter GPRS card is available. Contact me for details.

Verified to work ¶¶
See the man page.

Installation instructions ¶¶
The driver is available in both FreeBSD 7 and FreeBSD 8. The one in
FreeBSD 8 and up was written by Hans Petter Selasky. Consult
freebsd-usb@… for more information and bug reports.

The driver from FreeBSD 7 should be usable on FreeBSD 6, without too
many changes. You will need to patch ucom.c though with the attached
patch (see below).

Tricks ¶¶
To start your connection automatically use something like the
following snippet in your devd.conf:

  attach 100 {
    device-name "ucom[0-9]+";
    match "vendor" "0x12d1";
    match "product" "0x1003";
    action "/usr/sbin/ppp -ddial kpn";
  };
Some people have been able to get their device to successfully switch
from driver mode to modem mode using  usb_modeswitch. You can compile
it on !FreeBSD with

    cc -L /usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include -lusb -o usb_modeswitch
usb_modeswitch.c
if you have libusb installed. The mass storage devices the devices
present should be available through ugen. Note that umass must not be
present in your kernel nor as a module (or it should be made to ignore
these devices).

To see signal strength for example while online:

Start ppp (See also PPPFor3GModems).

prolly that could help.........

On 1/24/12, Alejandro Imass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
>> FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.
>>

> Which one? You need to specifiy modem brand/model and network provider
> to see if other have got that particular one working. Also check the
> Linux crowd (Ubuntu in particular) and then extrapolate to FBSD.
>
>> Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
>> PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.
>>

> Usually it's just a question of making the kernel mount the tty and
> the dial using something like wvdial. If it's popular and supported
> it's pretty easy, if not is still possible.
>
> Supporting the modem is usually a two layer problem first solving the
> multi-device problem on the USB bus, that is, selecting the correct
> device available (i.e. selecting the modem instead of the flash that
> contains the windows software), and then the actual kernel or
> userspace driver for that specific device (ZTE, Enfora, etc.).
>
> Ultimately, you get a serial modem and you just have to use AT command
> to dial, etc. and wvdial does a great job and it's quite easy to
> set-up and run.
>
> Good luck,
>
> --
> Alejandro
>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
>> Nairobi,KE
>> +254733744121/+254722743223

Frosty-456

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Odhiambo Washington-4
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 19:37, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/24/2012 10:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
> > FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.
> >
> > Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
> > PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.
>
> Most of them just come up as cuaU* devices, but not all.  The method to
> use them has not really changed, so chances are what you have found via
> google will still work.
>
> Take a look at the relevant man pages.
>
> man u3g
>
> What type of modem do you have ?

Hi Mike,

I have a Huawei E1820

I will also try RTFM.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 21:48, Alejandro Imass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am Google-ing for a recent definitive HOWTO use my 3G modem with
> > FreeBSD/PC-BSD and what I get seem rather old.
> >

> Which one? You need to specifiy modem brand/model and network provider
> to see if other have got that particular one working. Also check the
> Linux crowd (Ubuntu in particular) and then extrapolate to FBSD.

I have a Huawei E1820 and I am in KE, using Safaricom.

> > Someone can point me to a recent document detailing the steps. I have
> > PC-BSD 9 on my laptop.
> >

> Usually it's just a question of making the kernel mount the tty and the
> dial using something like wvdial. If it's popular and supported it's pretty
> easy, if not is still possible.
>
> Supporting the modem is usually a two layer problem first solving the
> multi-device problem on the USB bus, that is, selecting the correct device
> available (i.e. selecting the modem instead of the flash that contains the
> windows software), and then the actual kernel or userspace driver for that
> specific device (ZTE, Enfora, etc.).

Luckily, I already disabled the flash/virtual CD-ROM that the modem
contains. I got the AT string combo to do this. I also have one ZTE dongle
that I don't want to talk about because I haven't managed to find a way to
disable the virtual CD-ROM it contains.

> Ultimately, you get a serial modem and you just have to use AT command to
> dial, etc. and wvdial does a great job and it's quite easy to set-up and
> run.

You know, sometimes all this process is what makes people shy off of *BSD.
I am a diehard lover of FreeBSD, but the few times I have installed Linux
on my laptop, this whole process was a breeze... well, not quite, but not
as difficult as it is in FreeBSD. Luckily, I use WiFi more than I use 3G,
so it's never quite bothered me. Even now, I just want to see how easy it
can be on PC-BSD/FreeBSD, with a GUI to boot, if there is, but I do not
feel it is such a big necessity for me, because I have D-Link DIR-825 which
can use this modem on it's USB port and allow me to use 3G.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:23, Ivan Frosty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The FreeBSD u3g driver ¶¶
>

> Introduction ¶¶
> This driver supports 3G (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA) cards that provide
> access to one or more serial ports through a USB interface, providing
> PPP and AT command channels simultaneously. Some devices provide
> access to multiple pairs of channels for integrated GPS', or other
> access methods (Option HSO driver).
>
> Transfer speeds should be above 30k on a good UMTS connection and a
> fast server:
>
> % curl -o /dev/null ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz
> % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
>  Current
> Dload      Upload     Total                    Spent   Left
> Speed
> 12 19.9M   12 2486k    0     0  40203      0  0:08:39  0:01:03  0:07:36
> 43921
> Some (older) devices (from Sierra for example) provide 1 serial port
> through a normal serial port or the normal serial USB drivers. They
> usually support the ETSI / 3GPP 27.010 3GPPMultiplexProtocol, making
> it possible to open a AT command channel and a PPP connection channel
> simultaneously. A basic implementation which works on an Option
> Globetrotter GPRS card is available. Contact me for details.
>
> Verified to work ¶¶
> See the man page.
>
> Installation instructions ¶¶
> The driver is available in both FreeBSD 7 and FreeBSD 8. The one in
> FreeBSD 8 and up was written by Hans Petter Selasky. Consult
> freebsd-usb@… for more information and bug reports.
>
> The driver from FreeBSD 7 should be usable on FreeBSD 6, without too
> many changes. You will need to patch ucom.c though with the attached
> patch (see below).
>
> Tricks ¶¶
> To start your connection automatically use something like the
> following snippet in your devd.conf:
>
>  attach 100 {
>    device-name "ucom[0-9]+";
>    match "vendor" "0x12d1";
>    match "product" "0x1003";
>    action "/usr/sbin/ppp -ddial kpn";
>  };
> Some people have been able to get their device to successfully switch
> from driver mode to modem mode using  usb_modeswitch. You can compile
> it on !FreeBSD with
>
>    cc -L /usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include -lusb -o usb_modeswitch
> usb_modeswitch.c
> if you have libusb installed. The mass storage devices the devices
> present should be available through ugen. Note that umass must not be
> present in your kernel nor as a module (or it should be made to ignore
> these devices).
>
> To see signal strength for example while online:
>
> Start ppp (See also PPPFor3GModems).
>

> prolly that could help.........

I read this, but one thing I am sure about is that those details need to be
changed to reflect what I have on my system.
But I'm trying to see if there is an easier way out.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Tuesday, January 24, 2012 a las 10:23:18PM -0800, Ivan Frosty escribió:

> The FreeBSD u3g driver ¶¶
>

> Introduction ¶¶
> This driver supports 3G (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA) cards that provide
> access to one or more serial ports through a USB interface, providing
> PPP and AT command channels simultaneously. Some devices provide
> access to multiple pairs of channels for integrated GPS', or other
> access methods (Option HSO driver).
>
> Transfer speeds should be above 30k on a good UMTS connection and a
> fast server:

I'm using for years now the u3g(4) driver in 8-CURRENT, 9- and
10-CURRENT; it just works fine with ppp(8) and gives, if the provider
has no bottle-nack in channels, up to 2 Mbps down- and 1 Mbps upstream;
I'm using USB Huawei dongles or USB sticks. There is nearly nothing
magic, it just works: you plug in the key, some devd(8) hook sends down
the PIN to the created serial device, and I start ppp(8) by hand (could
be done as well from a devd(8) hook);

HIH

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

mdtancsa
On 1/25/2012 5:43 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> I have a Huawei E1820
>
> I will also try RTFM.

Hi,
        kldload u3g
        kldload umodem

plug in the modem

Show the output of

usbconfig

then

 sysctl -a dev.u3g
and
ls -l /dev/cuaU*

and
dmesg

On some 3g sticks, you have to send a command to put them in "modem
mode". Typically this is done by 'ejecting the cd'

camcontrol eject pass0

But the driver knows of most of the variants out there and does that
automatically for you.

        ---Mike

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Alejandro Imass
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Odhiambo Washington <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

> You know, sometimes all this process is what makes people shy off of *BSD. I am a diehard lover of FreeBSD, but the few times I have installed Linux on my laptop, this whole process was a breeze... well, not quite, but not as difficult as it is in FreeBSD. Luckily, I use WiFi more than I use 3G, so it's never quite bothered me. Even now, I just want to see how easy it can be on PC-BSD/FreeBSD, with a GUI to boot, if there is, but I do not feel it is such a big necessity for me, because I have D-Link DIR-825 which can use this modem on it's USB port and allow me to use 3G.

It used to be like that in Linux as well. It's only until recently
that the netowrk manager app supports 3g modems. The problem is when
these graphical apps fail you have virtually no way to see what's
going on, just plug and pray.

If you get the tty, using Wvdial is actuall much easier than any other
dialing/ppp tool I've ever used. So even on Linuxes with NM applet and
3g modem support I would use Wvdial, and on FBSD especially! wvdial is
much more robust than the nm apps, IMHO.

--
Alejandro Imass

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Da Rock-3
On 01/26/12 03:39, Alejandro Imass wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Odhiambo Washington<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> [...]
>
>> You know, sometimes all this process is what makes people shy off of *BSD. I am a diehard lover of FreeBSD, but the few times I have installed Linux on my laptop, this whole process was a breeze... well, not quite, but not as difficult as it is in FreeBSD. Luckily, I use WiFi more than I use 3G, so it's never quite bothered me. Even now, I just want to see how easy it can be on PC-BSD/FreeBSD, with a GUI to boot, if there is, but I do not feel it is such a big necessity for me, because I have D-Link DIR-825 which can use this modem on it's USB port and allow me to use 3G.
>>
> It used to be like that in Linux as well. It's only until recently
> that the netowrk manager app supports 3g modems. The problem is when
> these graphical apps fail you have virtually no way to see what's
> going on, just plug and pray.
>
> If you get the tty, using Wvdial is actuall much easier than any other
> dialing/ppp tool I've ever used. So even on Linuxes with NM applet and
> 3g modem support I would use Wvdial, and on FBSD especially! wvdial is
> much more robust than the nm apps, IMHO.

Network manager's a colossal screw up if you ask me- I had no end of
trouble with it when I used linux. One very good reason to use FreeBSD
when nm is inextricably linked to the core of linux (how is a gui app
possibly allowed to do that, I'll never know).

Sorry; and now back to your regular thread...

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Odhiambo Washington-4
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/25/2012 5:43 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> >
> > I have a Huawei E1820
> >
> > I will also try RTFM.
>
> Hi,
>        kldload u3g
>        kldload umodem

Done, although kldload u3g tells me that file already exists! Perhaps
because I booted up with my Huawei dongle plugged in.
kldstat | grep u3g shows me nothing though.

> plug in the modem
>
> Show the output of
>
> usbconfig

[wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen2.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen4.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen5.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen6.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps)
pwr=SAVE
ugen6.2: <HUAWEI Mobile Huawei Technologies> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen0.2: <BCM2045B Broadcom Corp> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen0.3: <Biometric Coprocessor STMicroelectronics> at usbus0, cfg=0
md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen3.2: <Microsoft Nano Transceiver v1.0 Microsoft> at usbus3, cfg=0
md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

> then
>
>  sysctl -a dev.u3g

[wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# sysctl -a dev.u3g
dev.u3g.0.%desc: Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev
2.00/0.00, addr 2
dev.u3g.0.%driver: u3g
dev.u3g.0.%location: bus=1 hubaddr=1 port=6 devaddr=2 interface=0
dev.u3g.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001 devclass=0x00
devsubclass=0x00 sernum="" release=0x0000 mode=host intclass=0xff
intsubclass=0xff
 intprotocol=0xff  ttyname=U0 ttyports=3
dev.u3g.0.%parent: uhub

[wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# ls -l /dev/cuaU*
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 117 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 118 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0.init
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 119 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0.lock
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 123 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 124 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1.init
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 125 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1.lock
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 129 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 130 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2.init
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 131 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2.lock

> and
> dmesg

[wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# dmesg
Copyright (c) 1992-2011 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #3: Tue Dec 27 14:14:29 PST 2011
    [hidden email]:/usr/obj/builds/amd64/pcbsd-build90/fbsd-source/9.0/sys/GENERIC
amd64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz (1995.05-MHz K8-class
CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6fa  Family = 6  Model = f  Stepping = 10

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory = 4000251904 (3814 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 400
ACPI APIC Table: <LENOVO TP-7L   >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
ACPI Warning: 32/64X length mismatch in Gpe1Block: 0/32
(20110527/tbfadt-556)
ACPI Warning: Optional field Gpe1Block has zero address or length:
0x000000000000102C/0x0 (20110527/tbfadt-586)
ioapic0: Changing APIC ID to 1
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
kbd1 at kbdmux0
cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard
acpi0: <LENOVO TP-7L> on motherboard
CPU0: local APIC error 0x40
acpi_ec0: <Embedded Controller: GPE 0x12, ECDT> port 0x62,0x66 on acpi0
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 100000, bff00000 (3) failed
Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 900
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x1008-0x100b on acpi0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 16 at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0x2000-0x207f mem
0xd6000000-0xd6ffffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff,0xd4000000-0xd5ffffff irq 16 at
device 0.0 o
n pci1
nvidia0: <Quadro NVS 140M> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
pci0: <simple comms> at device 3.0 (no driver attached)
atapci0: <Intel ATA controller> port
0x1820-0x1827,0x1814-0x1817,0x1818-0x181f,0x1810-0x1813,0x1800-0x180f irq
18 at device 3.2 on pci0
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
pci0: <simple comms, UART> at device 3.3 (no driver attached)
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.2.3> port 0x1840-0x185f mem
0xfe200000-0xfe21ffff,0xfe225000-0xfe225fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
em0: Using an MSI interrupt
em0: Ethernet address: 00:15:58:c6:61:8b
uhci0: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-D> port 0x1860-0x187f irq 20
at device 26.0 on pci0
usbus0: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-D> on uhci0
uhci1: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-E> port 0x1880-0x189f irq 21
at device 26.1 on pci0
usbus1: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-E> on uhci1
ehci0: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB 2.0 controller USB2-B> mem
0xfe226c00-0xfe226fff irq 22 at device 26.7 on pci0
usbus2: EHCI version 1.0
usbus2: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB 2.0 controller USB2-B> on ehci0
hdac0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xfe220000-0xfe223fff irq 17 at device 27.0 on pci0
pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 20 at device 28.0 on pci0
pci2: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
pcib3: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 21 at device 28.1 on pci0
pci3: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib3
iwn0: <Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965> mem 0xdf2fe000-0xdf2fffff irq 17
at device 0.0 on pci3
pcib4: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 22 at device 28.2 on pci0
pci4: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib4
pcib5: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 23 at device 28.3 on pci0
pci5: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib5
pcib6: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 20 at device 28.4 on pci0
pci13: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib6
uhci2: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-A> port 0x18a0-0x18bf irq 16
at device 29.0 on pci0
usbus3: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-A> on uhci2
uhci3: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-B> port 0x18c0-0x18df irq 17
at device 29.1 on pci0
usbus4: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-B> on uhci3
uhci4: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-C> port 0x18e0-0x18ff irq 18
at device 29.2 on pci0
usbus5: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB controller USB-C> on uhci4
ehci1: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB 2.0 controller USB2-A> mem
0xfe227000-0xfe2273ff irq 19 at device 29.7 on pci0
usbus6: EHCI version 1.0
usbus6: <Intel 82801H (ICH8) USB 2.0 controller USB2-A> on ehci1
pcib7: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
pci21: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib7
cbb0: <RF5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xf8100000-0xf8100fff irq 16 at
device 0.0 on pci21
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
fwohci0: <1394 Open Host Controller Interface> mem 0xf8101000-0xf81017ff
irq 17 at device 0.1 on pci21
fwohci0: OHCI version 1.10 (ROM=0)
fwohci0: No. of Isochronous channels is 4.
fwohci0: EUI64 00:01:6c:20:00:16:af:4c
fwohci0: Phy 1394a available S400, 1 ports.
fwohci0: Link S400, max_rec 2048 bytes.
firewire0: <IEEE1394(FireWire) bus> on fwohci0
fwe0: <Ethernet over FireWire> on firewire0
if_fwe0: Fake Ethernet address: 02:01:6c:16:af:4c
fwe0: Ethernet address: 02:01:6c:16:af:4c
fwip0: <IP over FireWire> on firewire0
fwip0: Firewire address: 00:01:6c:20:00:16:af:4c @ 0xfffe00000000, S400,
maxrec 2048
dcons_crom0: <dcons configuration ROM> on firewire0
dcons_crom0: bus_addr 0x39e4000
fwohci0: Initiate bus reset
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: node_id=0x00000000, SelfID Count=1, CYCLEMASTER
mode
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 31.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci1: <Intel ICH8M UDMA100 controller> port
0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0x1830-0x183f at device 31.1 on pci0
ata0: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1
ahci0: <Intel ICH8M AHCI SATA controller> port
0x1c48-0x1c4f,0x1c1c-0x1c1f,0x1c40-0x1c47,0x1c18-0x1c1b,0x1c20-0x1c3f mem
0xfe226000-0xfe2267ff ir
q 16 at device 31.2 on pci0
ahci0: AHCI v1.10 with 3 1.5Gbps ports, Port Multiplier not supported
ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
ahcich1: <AHCI channel> at channel 2 on ahci0
pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
acpi_tz1: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
attimer0: <AT timer> port 0x40-0x43 irq 0 on acpi0
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
Event timer "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 100
hpet0: <High Precision Event Timer> iomem 0xfed00000-0xfed003ff on acpi0
Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950
Event timer "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 450
Event timer "HPET1" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 440
Event timer "HPET2" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 440
atrtc0: <AT realtime clock> port 0x70-0x71 irq 8 on acpi0
Event timer "RTC" frequency 32768 Hz quality 0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> flags 0x1000 irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem
0xc0000-0xcefff,0xcf000-0xcffff,0xd0000-0xd0fff,0xe0000-0xeffff on isa0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
firewire0: bus manager 0
ZFS NOTICE: Prefetch is disabled by default if less than 4GB of RAM is
present;
            to enable, add "vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=0" to
/boot/loader.conf.
ZFS filesystem version 5
ZFS storage pool version 28
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
hdac0: HDA Codec #0: Analog Devices AD1984
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: Codec #1 is not responding! Probing aborted.
pcm0: <HDA Analog Devices AD1984 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA Analog Devices AD1984 PCM #1 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus1: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus2: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
usbus3: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus4: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus5: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus6: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
ugen0.1: <Intel> at usbus0
uhub0: <Intel UHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
ugen1.1: <Intel> at usbus1
uhub1: <Intel UHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
ugen2.1: <Intel> at usbus2
uhub2: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus2
ugen3.1: <Intel> at usbus3
uhub3: <Intel UHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus3
ugen4.1: <Intel> at usbus4
uhub4: <Intel UHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus4
ugen5.1: <Intel> at usbus5
uhub5: <Intel UHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus5
ugen6.1: <Intel> at usbus6
uhub6: <Intel EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus6
ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
ada0: <ST9250827AS 3.AAA> ATA-8 SATA 2.x device
ada0: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
ada0: Command Queueing enabled
ada0: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
ada0: Previously was known as ad8
cd0 at ata0 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-852 RB01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 33.300MB/s transfers (UDMA2, ATAPI 12bytes, SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
PIO 65534bytes)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
Root mount waiting for: usbus6 usbus2
ugen6.2: <Huawei Technologies> at usbus6
u3g0: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2>
on usbus6
u3g0: Found 3 ports.
ugen0.2: <Broadcom Corp> at usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus6
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/label/rootfs0 [rw,noatime]...
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
ugen0.3: <STMicroelectronics> at usbus0
ugen3.2: <Microsoft> at usbus3
ukbd0: <Microsoft Microsoft Nano Transceiver v1.0, class 0/0, rev
2.00/6.64, addr 2> on usbus3
kbd2 at ukbd0
ums0: <Microsoft Microsoft Nano Transceiver v1.0, class 0/0, rev 2.00/6.64,
addr 2> on usbus3
ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZT] coordinates ID=26
ums0: 0 buttons and [T] coordinates ID=0
uhid0: <Microsoft Microsoft Nano Transceiver v1.0, class 0/0, rev
2.00/6.64, addr 2> on usbus3
ubt0: <Broadcom Corp BCM2045B, class 224/1, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on usbus0
Cuse4BSD v0.1.21 @ /dev/cuse
wlan0: Ethernet address: 00:13:e8:3e:66:87
WARNING: attempt to domain_add(bluetooth) after domainfinalize()
WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()
fuse4bsd: version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.8
em0: link state changed to UP

> On some 3g sticks, you have to send a command to put them in "modem
> mode". Typically this is done by 'ejecting the cd'
>
> camcontrol eject pass0
>
> But the driver knows of most of the variants out there and does that

My "cd" is disabled on the modem. I did it.

On 1/26/2012 10:58 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>     Hi,
>            kldload u3g
>            kldload umodem
>

> Done, although kldload u3g tells me that file already exists! Perhaps
> because I booted up with my Huawei dongle plugged in.
> kldstat | grep u3g shows me nothing though.

Looks like its already defined in the kernel!

> ugen6.2: <HUAWEI Mobile Huawei Technologies> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

It sees it.

>     then
>
>      sysctl -a dev.u3g
>

> [wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# sysctl -a dev.u3g
> dev.u3g.0.%desc: Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev
> 2.00/0.00, addr 2
> dev.u3g.0.%driver: u3g
> dev.u3g.0.%location: bus=1 hubaddr=1 port=6 devaddr=2 interface=0
> dev.u3g.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001 devclass=0x00
> devsubclass=0x00 sernum="" release=0x0000 mode=host intclass=0xff
> intsubclass=0xff
>  intprotocol=0xff  ttyname=U0 ttyports=3
> dev.u3g.0.%parent: uhub

More importantly, the driver sees it and has used cuaU0.*

>     and
>     ls -l /dev/cuaU*
>

> [wash@pcbsd9] /home/wash# ls -l /dev/cuaU*
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 117 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 118 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0.init
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 119 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.0.lock
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 123 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 124 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1.init
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 125 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.1.lock
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 129 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 130 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2.init
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0, 131 Jan 26 18:23 /dev/cuaU0.2.lock

This is where you need to do a bit of experimenting.  Some modems
register these "sub ports" and others do not.  Some are for out of band
control and one will be the device you actually use in your ppp config.
 The init string sort of depends on your carrier. But a basic one to try
in ppp.conf is below.  For the set device line, you might need to change
it to /dev/cuaU0.1 or /dev/cuaU0.2

invoke with ppp -ddial u3g

You might need the authname and auth key, you might not. For the context
you might need to change it from internet.com to something else.  Again,
ask your carrier for that info. Try first without the CGDCONT line as
the default in the modem might do the trick.

u3g:
 set device /dev/cuaU0.0
 set server /var/run/gprs-internet "" 0177
 set speed 921600
 set timeout 0
 set authname wapuser1
 set authkey wap
 set dial "ABORT BUSY TIMEOUT 2 \
        \"\" \
        AT OK-AT-OK \
        AT+CFUN=1 OK-AT-OK \
        AT+CMEE=2 OK-AT-OK \
        AT+CSQ OK \
        AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com\\\" OK \
        AT&v OK \
        ATD*99# CONNECT"
 set crtscts on
 disable vjcomp
 disable acfcomp
 disable deflate
 disable deflate24
 disable pred1
 disable protocomp
 disable mppe
 disable ipv6cp
 disable lqr
 disable echo
 #nat enable yes
 enable dns
 resolv writable
 set dns 8.8.8.8
 set ifaddr 10.1.0.2/0 10.1.0.1/0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR          # See ppp.link*

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Odhiambo Washington-4
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 19:12, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>        AT+CMEE=2 OK-AT-OK \
>        AT+CSQ OK \
>        AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com\\\" OK \
>        AT&v OK \
>        ATD*99# CONNECT"
>  set crtscts on
>  disable vjcomp
>  disable acfcomp
>  disable deflate
>  disable deflate24
>  disable pred1
>  disable protocomp
>  disable mppe
>  disable ipv6cp
>  disable lqr
>  disable echo
>  #nat enable yes
>  enable dns
>  resolv writable
>  set dns 8.8.8.8
>  set ifaddr 10.1.0.2/0 10.1.0.1/0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
>  add default HISADDR          # See ppp.link*

I guess the internet.com in  AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com\\\"
OK \ refer to the APN? I know I need to read ppp.conf again soon :)

ppp.log:

Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: default: set timeout 180
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: default: enable dns
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set device
/dev/cuaU0.0
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set server
/var/run/gprs-internet ******** 0177
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Warning: Local: bind: Address
already in use
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Warning: set server: Failed 2
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set speed 921600
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set timeout 0
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set authname saf
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set authkey ********
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set dial ABORT BUSY
TIMEOUT 2        ""        AT OK-AT-OK        AT+CFUN=1 OK-AT-OK
 AT+CMEE=2 OK-AT-OK        AT+CSQ OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\",\"safaricom\" OK        AT&v OK        ATD*99# CONNECT
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set crtscts on
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable vjcomp
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable acfcomp
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable deflate
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable deflate24
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable pred1
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable protocomp
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable mppe
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable ipv6cp
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable lqr
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: disable echo
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: enable dns
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: resolv writable
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set dns 8.8.8.8
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: set ifaddr 10.1.0.2/0
10.1.0.1/0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7367]: tun0: Command: u3g: add default HISADDR
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: PPP Started (ddial mode).
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: bundle: Establish
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Connected!
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send: AT^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: AT^M^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: OK^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send: AT+CFUN=1^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: AT+CFUN=1^M^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: OK^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send: AT+CMEE=2^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: AT+CMEE=2^M^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: OK^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send: AT+CSQ^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: AT+CSQ^M^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: +CSQ: 4,99^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: ^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: OK^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","safaricom"^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","safaricom"^M^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Received: OK^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Send: AT&v^M
Jan 26 19:58:39 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect(2): OK
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Chat: Expect timeout
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Warning: Chat script failed
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: dial -> hangup
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Unable to set
physical to speed 0
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Unable to set
physical to speed 0
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Warning: deflink: tcsetattr: Unable
to restore device settings
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Connect time: 2
secs: 0 octets in, 0 octets out
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: 0 packets in, 0
packets out
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase:  total 0 bytes/sec, peak 0
bytes/sec on Thu Jan 26 19:58:39 2012
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: hangup -> opening
Jan 26 19:58:41 pcbsd9 ppp[7368]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Enter pause (30)
for redialing.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Carl Johnson
Odhiambo Washington <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:54, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 1/25/2012 5:43 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a Huawei E1820
>> >
>> > I will also try RTFM.
>>
>> Hi,
>>        kldload u3g
>>        kldload umodem
>>

> Done, although kldload u3g tells me that file already exists! Perhaps
> because I booted up with my Huawei dongle plugged in.
> kldstat | grep u3g shows me nothing though.

The command 'kldstat -v' shows that u3g is already compiled in for the
9.0-RELEASE kernel.

--
Carl Johnson [hidden email]

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

mdtancsa
On 1/26/2012 12:00 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I guess the internet.com <http://internet.com> in
> AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com <http://internet.com/>\\\" OK \
> refer to the APN? I know I need to read ppp.conf again soon :)

Hi,
        Yes, thats the APN. Your APN seems to be safaricom.  Also, get rid of
the line that has at&v. Thats confusing your modem.

        ---Mike

Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

Odhiambo Washington-4
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:05, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/26/2012 12:00 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I guess the internet.com <http://internet.com> in
> > AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com <http://internet.com/>\\\" OK \
> > refer to the APN? I know I need to read ppp.conf again soon :)
>
> Hi,
>        Yes, thats the APN. Your APN seems to be safaricom.  Also, get rid
> of
> the line that has at&v. Thats confusing your modem.

Hi Mike,

That seems to do it.

Complete ppp.log here - http://bit.ly/zsKSKo

I think it's not getting full 3G because I am seated in a corner where 3G
signal is very weak.

On 1/26/2012 12:14 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 20:05, Mike Tancsa <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/26/2012 12:00 PM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Mike,
>     >
>     > I guess the internet.com <http://internet.com>
>     <http://internet.com> in
>     > AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet.com <http://internet.com>
>     <http://internet.com/>\\\" OK \
>     > refer to the APN? I know I need to read ppp.conf again soon :)
>
>     Hi,
>            Yes, thats the APN. Your APN seems to be safaricom.  Also,
>     get rid of
>     the line that has at&v. Thats confusing your modem.
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> That seems to do it.
>
> Complete ppp.log here - http://bit.ly/zsKSKo
>
> I think it's not getting full 3G because I am seated in a corner where
> 3G signal is very weak.

Hi Odhiambo,

at+csq

will tell you the signal. You should be able to attach to one of the
other sub interfaces on the modem (eg cu -l /dev/cuaU0.1) and issue the
command
at+csq
even when you are connected via PPP to see what the signal strength is.
 There are other commands too that can tell you the type of connection
you currently have etc, but they are typically modem specific.

        ---Mike