Quantcast

FreeBSD on Raspberry PI?

se

FreeBSD on Raspberry PI?

se
The Raspberry PI has just been announced to become available at the end
of February and I'm just curious, whether it will be a good platform
for FreeBSD.

It is based on a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM1176JZFS) for which a Technical
Reference Manual and a "BCM2835 ARM Peripherals" document exist. The
latter has just been announced in:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/615 and can

be found at:

http://dmkenr5gtnd8f.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf

Linux sources have also been published:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

I'm going to get one, anyway, and would like to support a porting
effort to this platform. Video will not be possible, I'm afraid, but
the Raspberry PI looks like a nice base for a cheap, small server
(800k Dhrystones, some 60% of a BeagleBone AFAIK).

Regards, STefan

Re: FreeBSD on Raspberry PI?

Aleksander Dutkowski
Hi Stefan!

Here you have some topics from freebsd-hackers:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2011-November/036742.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2011-November/036748.html

I am going to purchase one, so I could also help porting:)

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Stefan Esser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Raspberry PI has just been announced to become available at the end
> of February and I'm just curious, whether it will be a good platform
> for FreeBSD.
>
> It is based on a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM1176JZFS) for which a Technical
> Reference Manual and a "BCM2835 ARM Peripherals" document exist. The
> latter has just been announced in:
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/615 and can
>
> be found at:
>
> http://dmkenr5gtnd8f.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf
>
> Linux sources have also been published:
>
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
>
> I'm going to get one, anyway, and would like to support a porting
> effort to this platform. Video will not be possible, I'm afraid, but
> the Raspberry PI looks like a nice base for a cheap, small server
> (800k Dhrystones, some 60% of a BeagleBone AFAIK).
>
> Regards, STefan

pozdrawiam
Aleksander Dutkowski
se

Re: FreeBSD on Raspberry PI?

se
Am 09.02.2012 12:15, schrieb Aleksander Dutkowski:
> Hi Stefan!
>
> Here you have some topics from freebsd-hackers:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2011-November/036742.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2011-November/036748.html
>
> I am going to purchase one, so I could also help porting:)

Hi Aleksander,

thank you for the pointers to previous threads. I just had missed them
in the hackers lists and did not find anything in the ARM list, so I asked.

The threads indicate that a number of people was interested in looking
at the Raspberry PI, and I think it is a great chance to have support
for that device, since I expect it to become a huge success (not
economically, since it is built by a non-profit organization, but with
respect to visibility in the public).

But we'll probably never be able to take advantage of its multi-media
features, which is too bad.

Well, then lets wait for the device to actually appear in the wild and
see whether it is practical to start porting. AFAIK, there is just a
(hard-coded) trivial primary boot loader that accesses the SD card.
But having Linux (and Linux sources) for this device on a SD card will
help to understand the hardware and then we'll see how far we get ;-)

Regards, STefan