Quantcast

FreeBSD partitioning

Jason Hsu
How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD partition.

I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

--
Jason Hsu <[hidden email]>

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Jason Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32,
> NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD
> partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main
> FreeBSD partition.
>
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.
>  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability
> and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.
>
> --
> Jason Hsu <[hidden email]>

In Turkish , there is a phrase : ¨Ne seninle , ne sensiz¨
means : It is not possible to be with you AND
             it is not possible to be without you .

Then , if you learn FreeBSD very well and write a paper about how to use it
as a server with respect to the latest releases just like described in
your papers about Linux servers , it will be very useful for the other less
experienced FreeBSD lovers because preparing a paper like yours from the
FreeBSD documentation is not a trivial task ( This is my OPINION evolved
over time from starting Version 6.2 without using prior versions ).

Your papers about Linux servers are really very good and I will try them to
apply .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Zhihao Yuan
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Jason Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD partition.

Check the manual here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html

I think the first thing you need to understand is, FreeBSD is a UNIX
running on x86, not a UNIX rewrote for x86. So the x86-only concept,
such as the partitions, may not apply to FreeBSD. In FreeBSD, the term
`slice' refers to a record in MBR or GPT table, aka., a partition in
x86 world. In a slice, we can use either bsdlabel to create UFS
partitions, or install a ZFS pool. So, may be some day gparted can
recognize a freebsd slice, it can never labels UFS partitions.

> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

Just ask questions in the mailling lists and forums. We answer your
questions for free :)

> --
> Jason Hsu <[hidden email]>

Zhihao Yuan

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Jeremy Chadwick
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD partition.
>
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

I think this is the 2nd time you've asked something that is covered in
the Handbook.  Possibly you haven't gotten to the section yet (it's
under Chapter 3):

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-organization.html

Scroll down to "Benefit of a single file system" and read from there.

P.S. -- Just because learning BSD is more difficult doesn't mean BSD is
better (yes, you read that right).  Every operating system has its pros
and cons.  Please keep that in mind.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   [hidden email] |
| Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Andrey V. Elsukov
On 23.03.2011 00:24, Jason Hsu wrote:
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn
> Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary
> for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary
> systems.

The FreeBSD documentation is not less legendary.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Michal Varga
On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 16:24 -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16,
> FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels
> the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions
> within the main FreeBSD partition.
>
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn
> Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for
> stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html

Note that you don't actually need sysinstall to work with FreeBSD
partitions at all (but you need a working FreeBSD for that, obviously).

The handbook page will give you a very good step-by-step overview on how
freebsd *partitions* and *slices* work and what they generally stand
for. In fact, shortly after you get a grip on the basics, you will start
hating sysinstall completely (this is guaranteed) and never ever use it
again (continue with "man fdisk", "man bsdlabel" after that).

But first, read the mentioned handbook section carefuly - from that on,
you should find partitioning in FreeBSD very easy and intuitive.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Chris H-10

On Tue, March 22, 2011 2:24 pm, Jason Hsu wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS,
> ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition
> as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD
> partition.
GParted is not a "native" *BSD utility. It is mostly found on Linux recovery/
utility CD/DVD's. It is developed more with Linux in mind, and has always lacked
ufs||ffs modules. So is not suitable for use on *BSD systems. It would be fairly
trivial to create the modules to provide *BSD native support. But those who use
the BSD family of operating systems fave found that sysinstall(8), fdisk(8) and
related, are more than adequate to get the job done. There are also some
very informative docs related to these tasks installed as part of your system,
as well as available from:
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

It's hard to imagine needing anything else -- even if it's ones very first time.

--Chris

> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.
> However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is
> the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.
>
> --
> Jason Hsu <[hidden email]>

Re: FreeBSD partitioning

Adam Vande More
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Zhihao Yuan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> n FreeBSD, the term
> `slice' refers to a record in MBR or GPT table, aka., a partition in
> x86 world. In a slice, we can use either bsdlabel to create UFS
> partitions, or install a ZFS pool.

A GPT partition is not a slice in FreeBSD terms, it is a partition.

man gpart(8)

--
Adam Vande More