Quantcast

How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Thomas Mueller-12
When updating many ports with portmaster, I get frequent interruptions with a prompt such as
===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]

How do I avoid this inefficiency?  I don't see any way to say "yes, and please don't ask again!"

My /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc is

MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
SAVE_SHARED=wopt
PM_LOG=/var/log/portm.log
NO_BACKUP=Bopt

I don't remember this ever happening when I used portupgrade.

Tom

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

David J. Weller-Fahy-2
* Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> [2012-10-26 22:29 -0400]:
> ===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]
>
> How do I avoid this inefficiency?

Try the following (from my portmaster.rc file):

ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt

dave [ please don't CC me ]

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

David Wolfskill
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:21:51PM -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> When updating many ports with portmaster, I get frequent interruptions with a prompt such as
> ===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]
>
> How do I avoid this inefficiency?  I don't see any way to say "yes, and please don't ask again!"

From portmaster(8):

     -D  no cleaning of distfiles

     -d  always clean distfiles

In the case in question, I suggest "-D", as portmaster may offer to
delete distfiles for similar, but different, ports.  You can always
delete unwanted distfiles separately.

There may be other ways, as well.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill [hidden email]
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Robert Backhaus-2
On 27 October 2012 12:21, Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When updating many ports with portmaster, I get frequent interruptions with a prompt such as
> ===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]
>
> How do I avoid this inefficiency?  I don't see any way to say "yes, and please don't ask again!"
>
> My /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc is
>
> MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
> SAVE_SHARED=wopt
> PM_LOG=/var/log/portm.log
> NO_BACKUP=Bopt
>
> I don't remember this ever happening when I used portupgrade.
>
> Tom

What it is asking you is permission to delete old distfiles. You have
two options to add to your portmaster.rc:

ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
To always remove them without asking, or

DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt
To never delete them. Your distfiles directory will quickly get
massive if you don't do something about stale distfiles.

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Kevin Oberman-3
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM, David J. Weller-Fahy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> [2012-10-26 22:29 -0400]:
>> ===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]
>>
>> How do I avoid this inefficiency?
>
> Try the following (from my portmaster.rc file):
>
> ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
>
> Regards,
> --
> dave [ please don't CC me ]

I'm on the DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt side as the wrong files will get
deleted on occasion.  I suggest running 'portmaster --clean-disfiles'.
It is much better at picking out the files you want to delete.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Thomas Mueller
On 27 October 2012 12:21, Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When updating many ports with portmaster, I get frequent interruptions with a prompt such as
> ===>>> Delete gstreamer-0.10.35.tar.bz2? y/n [n]

>How do I avoid this inefficiency?  I don't see any way to say "yes, and please don't ask again!"

> My /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc is

> MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
> SAVE_SHARED=wopt
> PM_LOG=/var/log/portm.log
> NO_BACKUP=Bopt

>I don't remember this ever happening when I used portupgrade.

> Tom

Robert Backhaus <[hidden email]> responded:

> What it is asking you is permission to delete old distfiles. You have
> two options to add to your portmaster.rc:

> ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
> To always remove them without asking, or

> DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt
> To never delete them. Your distfiles directory will quickly get
> massive if you don't do something about stale distfiles.

I saw that in 'man portmaster' and /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.sample ,
but I thought the files I was prompted for on deletion were the built
packages rather than the distfiles.  Examining /usr/packages/All and
/BETA1/usr/ports/distfiles showed me that those files in question were
outdated distfiles.

So I added DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt to /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc in
another virtual terminal when I was prompted on deletion.  This had no effect
on the current paused portmaster run but will hopefully work on subsequent
portmaster runs.

Keeping stale distfiles is bad cyber housekeeping and leaves a lot of useless
freight.

Tom

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

David J. Weller-Fahy-2
* Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> [2012-10-27 01:44 -0400]:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM, David J. Weller-Fahy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
>
> I'm on the DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt side as the wrong files will get
> deleted on occasion.  I suggest running 'portmaster --clean-disfiles'.
> It is much better at picking out the files you want to delete.

Hrm... I can't say that I've noticed.  I set that and have ignored it
since.  I assume one would notice by having distfiles downloaded again
the next time you needed to build the software, right?

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

Kevin Oberman-3
On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 7:27 AM, David J. Weller-Fahy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> [2012-10-27 01:44 -0400]:
>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM, David J. Weller-Fahy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
>>
>> I'm on the DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt side as the wrong files will get
>> deleted on occasion.  I suggest running 'portmaster --clean-disfiles'.
>> It is much better at picking out the files you want to delete.
>
> Hrm... I can't say that I've noticed.  I set that and have ignored it
> since.  I assume one would notice by having distfiles downloaded again
> the next time you needed to build the software, right?
>
> --
> dave [ please don't CC me ]

In general, that is right. And most distfiles are not so big as to
make downloading again a real problem, assuming a good broadband
network link. But that is not always the case. More important to me is
that distfiles will occasionally be pulled and become unfetchable. If
you need to re-build to link to a newer shareable or because of a
major OS version update or whatever, you are stuck.

Still, I'll admit that it is not generally a problem, but I have been
bitten and "once bitten, twice shy'.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions?

David J. Weller-Fahy-2
* Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> [2012-10-27 12:43 -0400]:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 7:27 AM, David J. Weller-Fahy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I assume one would notice by having distfiles downloaded again the
> > next time you needed to build the software, right?
>
> More important to me is that distfiles will occasionally be pulled and
> become unfetchable.

Oooo... yeah, that would stink.

> Still, I'll admit that it is not generally a problem, but I have been
> bitten and "once bitten, twice shy'.

Indeed, there are many things which fall into that category with me,
this just ain't one of them. ;) Thanks to your nudge, though, I may be
changing my ways... although, as a hobbiest, at worst I boot up a VM of
FreeBSD and access the drives until I can fix it (no work of mine
depends on FreeBSD, I don't have the option).

dave [ please don't CC me ]