Quantcast

How to set up a network-attached printer

How to set up a network-attached printer

Perry Hutchison
Where would I find a specific method for setting up a Samsung
ML-2571N network-attached PostScript printer in FreeBSD 6.1?
I'm hoping for something less generic than what I've found in
the handbook.

It "just works" from MacOS X, as did the old LaserWriter IIf
that the Samsung replaced, so I suppose one approach would be
to use the Mac as a print server; but I would prefer to print
from FreeBSD directly so that the Mac does not need to be up
in order to print from the FreeBSD machine.

Re: How to set up a network-attached printer

Erich Dollansky
Hi,

did you consider using CUPS?

It also should work with LPR but I never tried it.

Erich

[hidden email] wrote:

> Where would I find a specific method for setting up a Samsung
> ML-2571N network-attached PostScript printer in FreeBSD 6.1?
> I'm hoping for something less generic than what I've found in
> the handbook.
>
> It "just works" from MacOS X, as did the old LaserWriter IIf
> that the Samsung replaced, so I suppose one approach would be
> to use the Mac as a print server; but I would prefer to print
> from FreeBSD directly so that the Mac does not need to be up
> in order to print from the FreeBSD machine.

Re: How to set up a network-attached printer

Warren Block
[hidden email] wrote:

> Where would I find a specific method for setting up a Samsung ML-2571N
> network-attached PostScript printer in FreeBSD 6.1? I'm hoping for
> something less generic than what I've found in the handbook.

Less generic?  I think the Handbook printing section is complicated by
too much detail, or maybe too much of the wrong kind.

Anyway, it's usually three steps:

Set up DNS for the printer:

     # for example, in /etc/hosts...
     192.168.1.250    netlaser

Create print queue dir:

     mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd/netlaser
     chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/netlaser

Make /etc/printcap entry with rm= and rp= :

     netlaser:\
             :lp=:\
             :sh:\
             :mx#0:\
             :rm=netlaser:\
             :rp=raw:\
             :sd=/var/spool/lpd/netlaser:\
             :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Print to it with

     lpr -Pnetlaser file-to-print.ps

For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print
plain text.  /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of
people use /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to
the printer and let it do the conversion.

Re: How to set up a network-attached printer

Chris Hill-2
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Warren Block wrote:

[snip]

> For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print
> plain text.

I did something essentially identical to what Warren outlined, and it's
worked fine for many years now, since long before I'd ever heard of
CUPS. Here's the printcap entry:

# HP color laser
lp|snow|snowball|lj|ps|HP ColorLaserJet 4550N:\
         :sh:\
         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
         :mx#0:\
         :lp=:rm=snowball:rp="auto":

By using various names separated by pipe symbols, they are all
equivalent. Since one of them is lp, you can just send text to the
printer and it works, e.g.

  $ lpr textfile

I think that "lp" being the first entry makes it lpr's default; not
positive about that.

> /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of people use
> /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to the
> printer and let it do the conversion.

The printer should already know how to print text. Just send it via lpr;
no additional software needed.

--
Chris Hill               [hidden email]
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Chris Hill wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print plain
>> text.
>
> I did something essentially identical to what Warren outlined, and it's
> worked fine for many years now, since long before I'd ever heard of CUPS.
> Here's the printcap entry:
>
> # HP color laser
> lp|snow|snowball|lj|ps|HP ColorLaserJet 4550N:\
>        :sh:\
>        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>        :mx#0:\
>        :lp=:rm=snowball:rp="auto":

Some printers are pickier about the queue name than others; depends on
the print server.

> By using various names separated by pipe symbols, they are all equivalent.

There's not much reason to have more than one name for a printer.  I use
lp for text-only queues, and other names for non-text queues.

> Since one of them is lp, you can just send text to the printer and it works,
> e.g.
>
> $ lpr textfile

>> /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of people use
>> /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to the printer
>> and let it do the conversion.
>
> The printer should already know how to print text. Just send it via lpr; no
> additional software needed.

Sometimes, depending on the printer.  Without a text filter, you might
get the stairstep effect described in the handbook Troubleshooting
section.  enscript is nice because it does page numbers and titles and
other formatting.

Re: How to set up a network-attached printer

Martin Paredes
El Dom 14 Oct 2007, Warren Block escribió:
> Create print queue dir:
>
>      mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd/netlaser
>      chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/netlaser

       chown daemon:daemon /var/spool/lpd/netlaser

> Make /etc/printcap entry with rm= and rp= :
>
>      netlaser:\
>
>              :lp=:\
>              :sh:\
>              :mx#0:\
>              :rm=netlaser:\
>              :rp=raw:\
>              :sd=/var/spool/lpd/netlaser:\
>              :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

               :lf=/var/spool/lpd/netlaser/filter-errors:

since you are not specifying a filter for this printer, the lf capability may
not be necessary, but since LPD will launch a process to send the print job
to the networked printer, and this process will have:

stdin ---> to the print job
stdout --> (I really don't know)
stderr --> to the log file (lf capability)

I recommend that you had a log for each printer defined, and
leave /var/log/lpd-errs for LPD errors

> For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print
> plain text.  /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of
> people use /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to
> the printer and let it do the conversion.

I recommend apsfilter, but don't only read the documentation, also read the
code of the filter.

maps

El Dom 14 Oct 2007, Chris Hill escribió:

> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Warren Block wrote:
> > For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print
> > plain text.
>
> I did something essentially identical to what Warren outlined, and it's
> worked fine for many years now, since long before I'd ever heard of
> CUPS. Here's the printcap entry:
>
> # HP color laser
> lp|snow|snowball|lj|ps|HP ColorLaserJet 4550N:\
>
>          :sh:\
>          :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>          :mx#0:\
>          :lp=:rm=snowball:rp="auto":
>
> By using various names separated by pipe symbols, they are all
> equivalent. Since one of them is lp, you can just send text to the
> printer and it works, e.g.
>
>   $ lpr textfile

A name of lp don't make a printer to print text files, it just save you to
specify the printer (the -P option of lpr)

> I think that "lp" being the first entry makes it lpr's default; not
> positive about that.

It is not necessary be the first alias, it can be in any position, in my case
I have:

stylus-c65|lp|Epson Stylus C65:\

> > /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of people use
> > /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to the
> > printer and let it do the conversion.
>
> The printer should already know how to print text. Just send it via lpr;
> no additional software needed.

Not all the printer know how to print text, but if the Samsung ML-2571N
doesn't print text, I would use apsfilter.

I know that all HP LaserJet support PCL and text, some models also support
PostScript, I see you use rp="auto" for your HP LaserJet 4550N, I had only
use rp=raw and I also know that can be rp=text (to convert CR -> CRLF) but I
never used.

maps