Quantcast

Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

wason wei
Dear all,

My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday, I
install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new line:
gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the system, I can
enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot type any char in the
username input box. and hence I cannot login to the gnome due to the
bad username and password.  Then worse thing is that I cannot return to
the command mode, either.  and I cannot use my computer now.

What should I do?  If you have any idea about this, Please contact me
without hesitation. I am waiting for your reply.

wason wei,
2005-11-20



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-gnome
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Jose M Rodriguez

El Domingo, 20 de Noviembre de 2005 10:39, wason wei escribió:

> Dear all,
>
> My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday, I
> install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new line:
> gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the system, I can
> enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot type any char in
> the username input box. and hence I cannot login to the gnome due to
> the bad username and password.  Then worse thing is that I cannot
> return to the command mode, either.  and I cannot use my computer
> now.
>

You're hit by the init/gdm race problem.  Your gdm is launch before init
can launch the gettys.

but the mouse must be alive.  try go to a VT other than the firts and
disable gdm.

After that, try configure your gdm to use a static vt (not dynamic).

Other way maybe rename gdm.sh in a manner this maybe the last local
package init.  But this won't work if gdm is 'too fast' against init
gettys.

I'll be really glad to see this as default in FreeBSD gdm port.  gdm
with dinamic vt can get you in this race for vt0 more often than
expected.

--
  josemi
--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
See www.antivir.de for details.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-gnome
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Eugene Rogoza
In reply to this post by wason wei
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:49:34 +0100
> From: Jose M Rodriguez <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: wason wei <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
> El Domingo, 20 de Noviembre de 2005 10:39, wason wei escribi:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday, I
> > install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new line:
> > gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the system, I can
> > enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot type any char in
> > the username input box. and hence I cannot login to the gnome due to
> > the bad username and password.  Then worse thing is that I cannot
> > return to the command mode, either.  and I cannot use my computer
> > now.
> >
>
> You're hit by the init/gdm race problem.  Your gdm is launch before init
> can launch the gettys.
>
> but the mouse must be alive.  try go to a VT other than the firts and
> disable gdm.
>
> After that, try configure your gdm to use a static vt (not dynamic).
>
> Other way maybe rename gdm.sh in a manner this maybe the last local
> package init.  But this won't work if gdm is 'too fast' against init
> gettys.
>
> I'll be really glad to see this as default in FreeBSD gdm port.  gdm
> with dinamic vt can get you in this race for vt0 more often than
> expected.
>
> --
>   josemi
> --
> This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
> This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
> See www.antivir.de for details.
>

I noticed this problem when trying to reread /etc/rc.* settings (going
single-user and back).

There's a script in /etc/rc.d named LOGIN:

#!/bin/sh
#
# $NetBSD: LOGIN,v 1.7 2002/03/22 04:33:57 thorpej Exp $
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/LOGIN,v 1.4.2.1 2004/10/10 09:50:53 mtm Exp $
#

# PROVIDE: LOGIN
# REQUIRE: DAEMON

#       This is a dummy dependency to ensure user services such as xdm,
#       inetd, cron and kerberos are started after everything else, in
case
#       the administrator has increased the system security level and
#       wants to delay user logins until the system is (almost) fully
#       operational.

I think adding this dependency to gdm.sh (# REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGIN) would
do the trick (if I understand correctly what LOGIN means). But I didn't
try it out myself yet...

Sincerely,
Eugene

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-gnome
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Jose M Rodriguez
In reply to this post by Jose M Rodriguez

El Lunes, 21 de Noviembre de 2005 07:26, wason wei escribió:

> Well, my problem has been solved with the help of Vladimir
> Timofeev([hidden email]) in another way.
>
> I copy /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~~/.xinitrc and change it
> to run gnome-session. and then manual type "startx".
>
> However, If I add a new line: gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf to let
> the FreeBSD auto-start the gnome, the keyboard still didn't work. I
> try to use you method, but it is a little beyond me because I am just
> a fresh user of FreeBSD. I will refer to the handbook of FreeBSD to
> get more help
>

as root, edit /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf and search for FirtsVT. set
FirstVT=9
VTAllocation=true

--
  josemi

Note: I don't use gdm, but I recall that X vt's are one more than gettys
and stock xdm go on ttyv8 on /etc/ttys.
--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
See www.antivir.de for details.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-gnome
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Jose M Rodriguez
In reply to this post by Eugene Rogoza

El Lunes, 21 de Noviembre de 2005 15:12, Eugene Rogoza escribió:

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:49:34 +0100
> > From: Jose M Rodriguez <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Cc: wason wei <[hidden email]>
> > Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> > Content-Type: text/plain;  charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > El Domingo, 20 de Noviembre de 2005 10:39, wason wei escribi:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday,
> > > I install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new
> > > line: gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the
> > > system, I can enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot
> > > type any char in the username input box. and hence I cannot login
> > > to the gnome due to the bad username and password.  Then worse
> > > thing is that I cannot return to the command mode, either.  and I
> > > cannot use my computer now.
> >
> > You're hit by the init/gdm race problem.  Your gdm is launch before
> > init can launch the gettys.
> > <snip/>
> I noticed this problem when trying to reread /etc/rc.* settings
> (going single-user and back).
>
> There's a script in /etc/rc.d named LOGIN:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $NetBSD: LOGIN,v 1.7 2002/03/22 04:33:57 thorpej Exp $
> # $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/LOGIN,v 1.4.2.1 2004/10/10 09:50:53 mtm Exp
> $ #
>
> # PROVIDE: LOGIN
> # REQUIRE: DAEMON
>
> #       This is a dummy dependency to ensure user services such as
> xdm, #       inetd, cron and kerberos are started after everything
> else, in case
> #       the administrator has increased the system security level and
> #       wants to delay user logins until the system is (almost) fully
> #       operational.
>
> I think adding this dependency to gdm.sh (# REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGIN)
> would do the trick (if I understand correctly what LOGIN means). But
> I didn't try it out myself yet...
>
> Sincerely,
> Eugene

No.  You can't fight against init gettys.  You need:
FirstVT=9
VTAllocation=true

on gdm.conf to use vts over ttyv7.  This is noted on gdm.conf as
functional on FreeBSD, but not activated by default (as I think we must
do).

--
  josemi
--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
See www.antivir.de for details.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-gnome
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Loading...