Quantcast

Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Mike Voorhis

Has anyone tried 7.0-Stable on a Thinkpad t61p.  I've been using one
for a few weeks and have had many problems, after several event-free
years on a t42.

My issues are mainly ACPI related--consistent lockups trying to
suspend; hangs during shutdown.  Have updated the BIOS and I'm going
through the list of items in the acpi-debugging list, in the handbook.

I'm also having issues with the DVD reader on the machine.  I'm mainly
curious to know if anyone else is having these problems, and if anyone
has comments about the hardware in general.

    Mike.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Jeremy Chadwick-3
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:

> Has anyone tried 7.0-Stable on a Thinkpad t61p.  I've been using one
> for a few weeks and have had many problems, after several event-free
> years on a t42.
>
> My issues are mainly ACPI related--consistent lockups trying to
> suspend; hangs during shutdown.  Have updated the BIOS and I'm going
> through the list of items in the acpi-debugging list, in the handbook.
>
> I'm also having issues with the DVD reader on the machine.  I'm mainly
> curious to know if anyone else is having these problems,

Here's what I'm aware of.  Apologies on some of these links; some of the
participants do not use decent mail clients that utilise thread
referencing headers.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-October/037652.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039452.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-March/041509.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-April/041794.html

My co-worker runs Kubuntu Linux on his T60p, and it works great.  Very
decent ACPI support, with full driver support (including H/W monitoring
and adjustments).  I was quite impressed.

> ... and if anyone has comments about the hardware in general.

Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
almost 70C **while idling**.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

nlaroche
Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <[hidden email]>:
> Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
> not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
> almost 70C **while idling**.

I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these happen
(yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm to the touch
after a few hours idling.

Does your fan run all the time that loud? I'm wondering if there were changes
made at the factory to fix this type of problem if it was wide spread.

Regards,
Nick LaRoche

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

nlaroche
Quoting [hidden email]:

> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <[hidden email]>:
> > Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> > say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> > laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
> > not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
> > almost 70C **while idling**.
>
> I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these happen
> (yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm to the touch
> after a few hours idling.
>
> Does your fan run all the time that loud? I'm wondering if there were changes
> made at the factory to fix this type of problem if it was wide spread.
>
> Regards,
> Nick LaRoche

That was a T61p not a T60p

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Steven Schlansker

On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:
>>

>> ... and if anyone has comments about the hardware in general.
>
> Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.
> I'm
> not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching
> temperatures of
> almost 70C **while idling**.

Interesting, I've had almost the opposite experience.  I have the T61p
with the NVIDIA Quadro card.  If I run a game, the video card becomes
almost too hot to have on my lap rather quickly (I just put it on a
magazine or something and it's fine), but if it's idle the temperature
is totally comfortable on my lap.  It also takes only about 5 minutes
to cool off.  The fan is almost silent.  Perhaps they fixed the issues
you describe with the revision?

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Subhro Kar
I had a feeling nvidia does not work with amd64??

Subhro

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Steven Schlansker
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:
>>>

>>> ... and if anyone has comments about the hardware in general.
>>
>> Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
>> say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
>> laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
>> not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
>> almost 70C **while idling**.
>
> Interesting, I've had almost the opposite experience.  I have the T61p with
> the NVIDIA Quadro card.  If I run a game, the video card becomes almost too
> hot to have on my lap rather quickly (I just put it on a magazine or
> something and it's fine), but if it's idle the temperature is totally
> comfortable on my lap.  It also takes only about 5 minutes to cool off.  The
> fan is almost silent.  Perhaps they fixed the issues you describe with the
> revision?

Subhro Kar
Software Engineer
Dynamic Digital Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
EPY-3, Sector: V
Salt Lake City
700091
India

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0400, Michael C Voorhis wrote:

> Has anyone tried 7.0-Stable on a Thinkpad t61p.  I've been using one
> for a few weeks and have had many problems, after several event-free
> years on a t42.
>
> My issues are mainly ACPI related--consistent lockups trying to
> suspend; hangs during shutdown.  Have updated the BIOS and I'm going
> through the list of items in the acpi-debugging list, in the handbook.

I see some lockups from time to time that I can't even get into DDB, but
its very rare. Forget about suspend/resume - it doesn't work on any SMP
machine. There were some patches posted on freebsd-acpi@ for
suspend/resume SMP support, but they didn't work for me. I see no
problems with shutdown (if I don't use mentioned patches). Other than
that it works quite ok. Unfortunately because of nvidia driver
limitation I can't run amd64 or PAE.

> I'm also having issues with the DVD reader on the machine.  I'm mainly
> curious to know if anyone else is having these problems, and if anyone
> has comments about the hardware in general.

I haven't tried DVD too much, but it's the same reader I had in T43 I
think.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.wheel.pl
[hidden email]                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Martin Sugioarto
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 05:22:18 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.
> I'm not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching
> temperatures of almost 70C **while idling**.

Hallo,

I can confirm this. I've got a T60p Lenovo Thinkpad here. This laptop is
very lazy with speeding up the fan, when using automatic fan settings.

I've got CPU temperatures up to 101°C here, while compiling world or
ports. At this point the laptop powers off. The fan works. I checked it.

The fan is far too slow, when setting it to highest level:
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 3745
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 0

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen it at 4300 and almost 5000 rpm
earlier at high temperatures around 90°C. Today it always stays below
4000 rpm, even at 100°C.

Second problem is that the VGA sits under the same heat sink as
the CPU. The GPU or chipset is constantly at 75°C minimum, because
FreeBSD-powerd does not adjust the voltage settings of the VGA and
always runs it at full power. This heats up the CPU additionally.

I have a small script that automatically adapts the CPU speed, so it
stays below 75°C while compiling big things. Optionally one can set the
CPU speed to 1667MHz manually while compiling.

--
Martin

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Martin Sugioarto
Am Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:39:40 +0200
schrieb Pawel Jakub Dawidek <[hidden email]>:

> I see some lockups from time to time that I can't even get into DDB,
> but its very rare.

Just in case you have 2 different DIMMs in your Thinkpad (even they have
same so called "FRU"), try to remove one of them. My T60p got more
stable.

I could reproduce a full freeze on every platform including MS-Windows,
when putting a Thinkpad under high load. Easy with compiling 4 openssl
distributions concurrently, in my case.

You should accept only exactly the same DIMMs in a T60p Thinkpad. And
you should stress this when talking on the hotline or they send you
DIMMs with equal FRU number.

--
Martin

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting [hidden email]:
> > Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <[hidden email]>:
> > > Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> > > say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> > > laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
> > > not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
> > > almost 70C **while idling**.
> >
> > I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these happen
> > (yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm to the touch
> > after a few hours idling.
> >
> > Does your fan run all the time that loud? I'm wondering if there were changes
> > made at the factory to fix this type of problem if it was wide spread.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nick LaRoche
>
> That was a T61p not a T60p

It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
shutting off (for some).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
| Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Josh Paetzel
On Wednesday 04 June 2008 07:25:13 am Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Quoting [hidden email]:
> > >
> > > I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these
> > > happen (yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm
> > > to the touch after a few hours idling.
> > >
> > > Does your fan run all the time that loud? I'm wondering if there were
> > > changes made at the factory to fix this type of problem if it was wide
> > > spread.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Nick LaRoche
> >
> > That was a T61p not a T60p
>
> It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> shutting off (for some).
My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even
with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it
only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due
to heat.  (eg over 100C)

I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:12:41AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <[hidden email]>:
> > Based on my experiences with my workplace-provided T60p, it's safe to
> > say I'll never recommend a Lenovo product.  The temperatures of these
> > laptops are absolutely insane, supported by an incredibly loud fan.  I'm
> > not interested in a product that can have a GPU reaching temperatures of
> > almost 70C **while idling**.
>
> I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these happen
> (yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm to the touch
> after a few hours idling.

I pointed out earlier in the thread that Linux appears to have full ACPI
support for the Thinkpad series, including extras -- which probably
manage some of the thermal-related features better.

> Does your fan run all the time that loud?

Within 10-15 seconds of logging in (to Vista), the fan kicks on medium
speed.  As we all know, Vista enjoys chewing CPU and disk prior to and
after logging in, and takes about 5 minutes to relax (assuming you
disable Indexing, ReadyBoost, and SuperFetch).  After about 10-15
minutes, the fan usually kicks into high mode, and remains that way
until the laptop has a chance to go into sleep/power save mode -- or, if
the rear of the laptop is raised up off the desk.  The amount of hot air
coming out of the fan slot on the left side is fairly substantial,
indicating the overall design of the laptop is bad, thermal-wise.

A couple of my co-workers (but only a few!) do not have this problem.
Their laptops run with the fan off, or in low mode.  When we were all
using XP, I had them run the Thinkpad monitoring utility (an open-source
app) to look at the thermals of all the different parts in the system.
Their temps were substantially lower than mine (particularly the GPU),
but in others, were higher.

This could indicate a problem similar to Apple and their Macbooks, where
assembly line folks were applying entire tubes of thermal compound to
the CPU heatsink area.  I haven't taken the time to open one of the
Lenovo laptops up -- company rules don't permit me to do so, and I don't
trust the coherency of our IT department anyways.  ("Sounds isolated,
better just replace the entire laptop"  "Umm, no...")

There are other problems with these laptops, not just thermal-related.
The laptop emits high-pitch noises as a result of some power-saving
modes the Centrino Duo chipset has.  They've been documented in full on
the RMClock forum, and there are workarounds using either RMClock or (my
preferred method) turning off two options in the BIOS.  If you can't
hear the noise, then your hearing isn't as sensitive as some peoples.  I
can dig up the exact BIOS labels if you'd like them.

> I'm wondering if there were changes made at the factory to fix this
> type of problem if it was wide spread.

Possibly.  There's quite a lot of evidence on the Web about this problem
with Lenovo laptops.  IBM/Lenovo's T43 series did not behave this way,
but they were on older (cooler, temperature-wise) hardware.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
| Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Richard Arends
On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:45:12AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

Hi,

> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

For my T60 i made a perl script for controlling the fans and
the cpu speed. A few months ago i changed it to work together
with powerd and i must say, i got it pretty workable now.

With a normal workload (browsing the internet, reading mail,
ssh'ing to control the rest of the world), the temp is
under 60 degrees.

http://www.unixguru.nl/made/ibm_fancontrol_fbsd.txt

Richard.

/* Homo Sapiens non urinat in ventum */

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

dougb
Richard Arends wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:45:12AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

I didn't follow this thread earlier because I don't have this laptop,
but I wonder if anyone has offered the suggestion to blow out all the
vents and heatsinks with compressed air yet? Even in a fairly "healthy"
environment at home my laptop gets a non-trivial amount of dust buildup.
I blow it clean about once a month and get visible results each time.

hth,

Doug

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko-2
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 07:25:13 am Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Quoting [hidden email]:

> > > That was a T61p not a T60p
> >
> > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > shutting off (for some).
>
> My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even
> with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it
> only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due
> to heat.  (eg over 100C)
>
> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

You can read through this thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
+/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi

which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one from
the referenced message forward.

HTH,

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko-2
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 June 2008 07:25:13 am Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Quoting [hidden email]:

> > > That was a T61p not a T60p
> >
> > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > shutting off (for some).
>
> My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even
> with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it
> only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due
> to heat.  (eg over 100C)
>
> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

You can read through this thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
+/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi

which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one is from

On Sunday 08 June 2008 02:03:33 pm Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > > shutting off (for some).
> >
> > My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.
> > Even with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest
> > setting it only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from
> > shutting down due to heat.  (eg over 100C)
> >
> > I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
>
> You can read through this thread:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
> +/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi
>
> which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one is from
> the referenced message forward.
>
> HTH,
So in doing some more research I finally got together the nerve to disassemble
my laptop.  After cleaning a massive amount of thermal paste off the cpu and
heatsink it's operating around 60C after multiple make -j4 buildworlds, where
it used to shut down due to going over 100C.

It seems I'm not the first person to discover this was the root cause of their
heat and noise problems with their Lenovo T60/61 laptop.

I've also been able to turn over control of the fan back to the BIOS as
opposed to running it full out all the time.

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Kevin Oberman
> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:01:47 -0700

> From: Doug Barton <[hidden email]>
> Sender: [hidden email]
>
> Richard Arends wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:45:12AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
>
> I didn't follow this thread earlier because I don't have this laptop,
> but I wonder if anyone has offered the suggestion to blow out all the
> vents and heatsinks with compressed air yet? Even in a fairly "healthy"
> environment at home my laptop gets a non-trivial amount of dust buildup.
> I blow it clean about once a month and get visible results each time.
Amen, Doug.

I post this advise fairly routinely.

For my ThinkPad, I just remove the keyboard (4 screws) and blow into the
exhaust ports. I know that I would be better off with compressed air,
but my lungs are hand and available and, the small amount of
contamination they input is dwarfed by the massive cloud of dust that
blasts out of the air intake in the heat sink assembly.

Low tech and only takes about 15 minutes. I do it annually or when the
CPU temp hits 90 during a big build (such as buildworld or gnome).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

Ian Smith-12
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
 > On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

 > > > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
 > > > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
 > > > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
 > > > shutting off (for some).
 > >
 > > My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even
 > > with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it
 > > only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due
 > > to heat.  (eg over 100C)
 > >
 > > I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
 > >
 > You can read through this thread:
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
 > +/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi
 >
 > which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one is from
 > the referenced message forward.

Hi Alex, glad to see you're still keeping track of these issues ..

In there ume@ says that his patch was committed .. do you know if it was
MFC'd back to 7.x?  6.x?  Perhaps the docs haven't caught up yet?  There
are only going to be a lot more of these around ..

cheers, Ian