Quantcast

Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

123

Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Norberto Lopes-4
Can anyone tell me if there is support for this card?

none2@pci0:8:1:0: class=0x028000 card=0x00671737 chip=0x06011814
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Ralink corp.'
    device     = 'RT2800 802.11n PCI'
    class      = network

I looked around and saw support for the USB version, but not this exact one.
If there is no support, I can provide help as long as someone provides
some guidance (I am not very familiar with the wireless code).

Any help or hint on kicking this off would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
  Norberto

Re: Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Matt-332
On 02/19/12 20:02, Norberto Lopes wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is support for this card?
>
> none2@pci0:8:1:0: class=0x028000 card=0x00671737 chip=0x06011814
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Ralink corp.'
>     device     = 'RT2800 802.11n PCI'
>     class      = network
>
> I looked around and saw support for the USB version, but not this exact one.
> If there is no support, I can provide help as long as someone provides
> some guidance (I am not very familiar with the wireless code).
>
> Any help or hint on kicking this off would be very appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>   Norberto
There are a couple of experimental versions of the ral driver that cover
this chip.
OpenBSD's ral driver supports it, ours doesn't.
I had a version of our ral with the experimental "rt2800" driver grafted in.
There was a git link posted a few months ago with a better version.

As far as I know, both work but are experimental. I have an rt3090 which
is similar.
If you are interested in helping test, I think the place to start might
be that git link that was posted.

I just saw that there was no response in december re: ralink. I'd be
interested in helping more.
I'm not sure if this is the same one: http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git

I have a tarball of my driver around if that doesn't work for you.

Matt

Re: Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Adrian Chadd-2
Hiya,

Do you have a semi-working driver? If so, let's get it tested and into
_a_ freebsd repo. Whether it's in projects or HEAD.

I'd rather see it in the freebsd repo then bitrotting anywhere.

Adrian

On 02/19/12 23:16, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Do you have a semi-working driver? If so, let's get it tested and into
> _a_ freebsd repo. Whether it's in projects or HEAD.
>
> I'd rather see it in the freebsd repo then bitrotting anywhere.
>

> Adrian
I will go back to hacking at this/these and see which one works best. I
was quite busy a while back and it seemed as though there was another
angle of development happening...I guess not?
I have the old one, which works, but I will look at the other one in git
as well.

I'll take a look and see if I can break either one. All I have is my
RT3090 1T1R 2.4ghz only (n150)...If anyone has the "nicer" ones or the
older ones like rt2800 they'd be worth testing as well.

Matt

Re: Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Matt-332
On 02/19/12 23:16, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Do you have a semi-working driver? If so, let's get it tested and into
> _a_ freebsd repo. Whether it's in projects or HEAD.
>
> I'd rather see it in the freebsd repo then bitrotting anywhere.
>

> Adrian
> .

It looks like the git repo is actually Alexandr's earlier
rt2860/rt2870/rt3090 driver that I'd already merged into the ral driver.
It is 20months old, so I assume I merged as new a version as is in git.

I'm going to test my old driver against HEAD/CURRENT and repost a link
with tarball, diffs, etc w/ changes if necessary.

I have the rt3090 in a pcie carrier on my desktop now, so I can continue
testing.

Matt

Re: Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Adrian Chadd-2
Hi,

That'd be great, thanks!

Adrian

On 24 February 2012 14:59, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/19/12 23:16, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> Do you have a semi-working driver? If so, let's get it tested and into
>> _a_ freebsd repo. Whether it's in projects or HEAD.
>>
>> I'd rather see it in the freebsd repo then bitrotting anywhere.
>>

>> Adrian
>> .
>>
> It looks like the git repo is actually Alexandr's earlier
> rt2860/rt2870/rt3090 driver that I'd already merged into the ral driver.
> It is 20months old, so I assume I merged as new a version as is in git.
>
> I'm going to test my old driver against HEAD/CURRENT and repost a link with
> tarball, diffs, etc w/ changes if necessary.
>
> I have the rt3090 in a pcie carrier on my desktop now, so I can continue
> testing.
>
> Matt

Re: Linksys WMP600N driver (Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI)

Norberto Lopes-4
Oh by the way, drivers from http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git did
not work at all.
I haven't had a lot of time to play around with this so it may have
been pebcak but it definitely didn't look good.

On 02/24/12 15:29, Norberto Lopes wrote:

> Oh by the way, drivers from http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git did
> not work at all.
> I haven't had a lot of time to play around with this so it may have
> been pebcak but it definitely didn't look good.
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Chadd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That'd be great, thanks!
>>

>> Adrian

>>> It looks like the git repo is actually Alexandr's earlier
>>> rt2860/rt2870/rt3090 driver that I'd already merged into the ral driver.
>>> It is 20months old, so I assume I merged as new a version as is in git.
>>>
>>> I'm going to test my old driver against HEAD/CURRENT and repost a link with
>>> tarball, diffs, etc w/ changes if necessary.
>>>
>>> I have the rt3090 in a pcie carrier on my desktop now, so I can continue
>>> testing.
>>>
>>> Matt
Norberto, are you running HEAD / recent CURRENT?
I'm guessing you are since those drivers are for older versions...
I'm not so sure about backporting what I have, but I'm pretty sure I can
get it to work on latest HEAD.

Thanks,
Matt

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/24/12 15:29, Norberto Lopes wrote:
>>
>> Oh by the way, drivers from http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git did
>> not work at all.
>> I haven't had a lot of time to play around with this so it may have
>> been pebcak but it definitely didn't look good.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Adrian Chadd<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That'd be great, thanks!
>>>

>>> Adrian

> Norberto, are you running HEAD / recent CURRENT?
> I'm guessing you are since those drivers are for older versions...
> I'm not so sure about backporting what I have, but I'm pretty sure I can get
> it to work on latest HEAD.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
I only realized I replied directly to Matt and not to the list.
Your guess is correct Matt.
How can I help getting this to a working state?

On 03/09/12 12:13, Norberto Lopes wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 02/24/12 15:29, Norberto Lopes wrote:
>>> Oh by the way, drivers from http://repo.or.cz/w/ralink_drivers.git did
>>> not work at all.
>>> I haven't had a lot of time to play around with this so it may have
>>> been pebcak but it definitely didn't look good.

>> Norberto, are you running HEAD / recent CURRENT?
>> I'm guessing you are since those drivers are for older versions...
>> I'm not so sure about backporting what I have, but I'm pretty sure I can get
>> it to work on latest HEAD.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt
> I only realized I replied directly to Matt and not to the list.
> Your guess is correct Matt.
> How can I help getting this to a working state?
Test it...I need to do last formatting on patch, but it compiles cleanly
and runs on HEAD.
I was able to download the minix3 iso, while browsing and posting.

I will upload it somewhere tonight and post with links.

The only modification from the google docs link I posted yesteryear was
that "int opmode" become an enum. I think the OLD link might apply to 9,
but I'm trying to make one nicer patch.

Just to make sure it will attach on your machine what is pciconf -lv
result for your card?

Thanks!

Matt

Please Test: Updated Ral Driver Patch for rt2860/rt3090

Matt-332
Hi Folks! Thanks for the patience :)

Here's the patch for HEAD:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6YlMzJxarGbR1lSZ0hnTEFSREt6MU1MbGFKeURhUQ

It may work on 9, but if it doesn't let me know what fails and I'll see
how hard it is to backport.

The patch expects to live at /usr/src, and be applied "patch -p1 <
ralplus.diff"

I have not tested almost anything other than connecting and browsing, so
anyone that can test adhoc, hostap or anything else please let me know.

Signal levels look fine.

Please ignore the printfs you see at attach, I'm under the impression
that they're spurious and related to certain parts of wireless N, but
please let me know if you have issues with APs above channel 9.

You will see an invalid eeprom low-noise amplifier gain for low-noise
amplifiers you don't have. If it doesn't attach at all, send me your PCI
ids and we can add them to the attach code and see if they work.

My expectation is everything from rt2860-rt3090 at least will work.

There are no changes to the other ral devices, but testers with other
ral devices are probably necessary to be sure no regressions have
occurred, especially with attach.

Thanks!

Matt

Re: Please Test: Updated Ral Driver Patch for rt2860/rt3090

Sevan / Venture37-2
On 10/03/2012 03:17, matt wrote:
> Hi Folks! Thanks for the patience :)

Hi Matt,

> Here's the patch for HEAD:
>
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6YlMzJxarGbR1lSZ0hnTEFSREt6MU1MbGFKeURhUQ

The patch you linked to above had several errors which prevented it from
being built, I've cleaned things up & added them to a mercurial repo
https://bitbucket.org/sevan/ral/overview (you're welcome to have write
access Matt if you don't plan on hosting the files elsewhere)

both directories just need to be copied to /usr/src/sys

> You will see an invalid eeprom low-noise amplifier gain for low-noise
> amplifiers you don't have. If it doesn't attach at all, send me your PCI
> ids and we can add them to the attach code and see if they work.
>
> My expectation is everything from rt2860-rt3090 at least will work.

The driver attaches but ifconfig wlan0 scan doesn't show any access points

ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2790> mem 0xf7f00000-0xf7f0ffff irq 17 at
device 0.0 on pci3
ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #2: 0x00
ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #3: 0x00
ral0: invalid EEPROM powersave level
ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x28720200), RF RT3022 2.4G 2T2R
ral0: skip channel 10, could not find extension channel
ral0: skip channel 11, could not find extension channel
ral0: skip channel 12, could not find extension channel
ral0: skip channel 13, could not find extension channel
ral0: skip channel 14, could not find extension channel
ral0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ral0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ral0: 2T2R
ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz
ral0: MCS 0-7: 6.5Mbps - 65Mbps
ral0: MCS 8-15: 13Mbps - 130Mbps
ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz SGI
ral0: MCS 0-7: 7Mbps - 72Mbps
ral0: MCS 8-15: 14.5Mbps - 144.5Mbps
ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz:
ral0: MCS 0-7: 13.5Mbps - 135Mbps
ral0: MCS 8-15: 27Mbps - 270Mbps
ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz SGI:
ral0: MCS 0-7: 15Mbps - 150Mbps
ral0: MCS 8-15: 30Mbps - 300Mbps

Sevan / Venture37

On 03/10/12 18:23, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 10/03/2012 03:17, matt wrote:
>> Hi Folks! Thanks for the patience :)
>
> Hi Matt,
>
>> Here's the patch for HEAD:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6YlMzJxarGbR1lSZ0hnTEFSREt6MU1MbGFKeURhUQ
>>

> The patch you linked to above had several errors which prevented it
> from being built, I've cleaned things up & added them to a mercurial
> repo https://bitbucket.org/sevan/ral/overview (you're welcome to have
> write access Matt if you don't plan on hosting the files elsewhere)
>
> both directories just need to be copied to /usr/src/sys
>
>> You will see an invalid eeprom low-noise amplifier gain for low-noise
>> amplifiers you don't have. If it doesn't attach at all, send me your PCI
>> ids and we can add them to the attach code and see if they work.
>>
>> My expectation is everything from rt2860-rt3090 at least will work.
>
> The driver attaches but ifconfig wlan0 scan doesn't show any access
> points
>
> ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2790> mem 0xf7f00000-0xf7f0ffff irq 17 at
> device 0.0 on pci3
> ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #2: 0x00
> ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #3: 0x00
> ral0: invalid EEPROM powersave level
> ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x28720200), RF RT3022 2.4G 2T2R
> ral0: skip channel 10, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 11, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 12, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 13, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 14, could not find extension channel
> ral0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
> ral0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
> 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
> ral0: 2T2R
> ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 6.5Mbps - 65Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 13Mbps - 130Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz SGI
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 7Mbps - 72Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 14.5Mbps - 144.5Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz:
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 13.5Mbps - 135Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 27Mbps - 270Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz SGI:
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 15Mbps - 150Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 30Mbps - 300Mbps
>
> Sevan / Venture37

> "[hidden email]"

What several errors? Compiles fine against head...are you compiling
against 9? clang?
Or is the patch dumping the modules and dev folder out early?
Confused...it worked fine here...I admit my patch-fu is weak :).

Looks good on attach though...I only have a 1t1r so it's nice to see
something else attach.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Please Test: Updated Ral Driver Patch for rt2860/rt3090

Matt-332
On 03/10/12 18:23, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 10/03/2012 03:17, matt wrote:
>> Hi Folks! Thanks for the patience :)
>
> Hi Matt,
>
>> Here's the patch for HEAD:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6YlMzJxarGbR1lSZ0hnTEFSREt6MU1MbGFKeURhUQ
>>

> The patch you linked to above had several errors which prevented it
> from being built, I've cleaned things up & added them to a mercurial
> repo https://bitbucket.org/sevan/ral/overview (you're welcome to have
> write access Matt if you don't plan on hosting the files elsewhere)
>
> both directories just need to be copied to /usr/src/sys
>
>> You will see an invalid eeprom low-noise amplifier gain for low-noise
>> amplifiers you don't have. If it doesn't attach at all, send me your PCI
>> ids and we can add them to the attach code and see if they work.
>>
>> My expectation is everything from rt2860-rt3090 at least will work.
>
> The driver attaches but ifconfig wlan0 scan doesn't show any access
> points
>
> ral0: <Ralink Technology RT2790> mem 0xf7f00000-0xf7f0ffff irq 17 at
> device 0.0 on pci3
> ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #2: 0x00
> ral0: invalid EEPROM LNA gain #3: 0x00
> ral0: invalid EEPROM powersave level
> ral0: MAC/BBP RT2860 (rev 0x28720200), RF RT3022 2.4G 2T2R
> ral0: skip channel 10, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 11, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 12, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 13, could not find extension channel
> ral0: skip channel 14, could not find extension channel
> ral0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
> ral0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
> 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
> ral0: 2T2R
> ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 6.5Mbps - 65Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 13Mbps - 130Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 20MHz SGI
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 7Mbps - 72Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 14.5Mbps - 144.5Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz:
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 13.5Mbps - 135Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 27Mbps - 270Mbps
> ral0: 11ng MCS 40MHz SGI:
> ral0: MCS 0-7: 15Mbps - 150Mbps
> ral0: MCS 8-15: 30Mbps - 300Mbps
>
> Sevan / Venture37

> "[hidden email]"

Re access points...try "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ral0"
ifconfig ral0 up (just in case...)
ifconfig wlan0 up
sleep 1
ifconfig wlan0 scan

I have seen it take a second for results to be available, i.e. "up scan"
returns no list.

Re: errors:
Did you by chance build the module along with kernel or separately?

Matt

Re: Please Test: Updated Ral Driver Patch for rt2860/rt3090

Adrian Chadd-2
.. I wonder if "up scan" triggers some ath bugs that I haven't yet seen.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll go check.

Adrian

On 11/03/2012 04:07, matt wrote:
> What several errors? Compiles fine against head...are you compiling
> against 9? clang?
> Or is the patch dumping the modules and dev folder out early?
> Confused...it worked fine here...I admit my patch-fu is weak :).

Cosmetic:
Some files use CR/LF
duplicate code in header files (updated a couple of hours ago)

Show stoppers:
in if_ral_pci.c the RT2860 includes, PCI_* constants & ral_rt2860_opns
data structure declarations were truncated onto single lines
in rt2860.c contained duplicate code which caused redeclaration errors
during compilation

> Looks good on attach though...I only have a 1t1r so it's nice to see
> something else attach.

I now understand why you mentioned APs running on channels above 9 :)

On 11/03/2012 04:15, matt wrote:
 > Re access points...try "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ral0"
 > ifconfig ral0 up (just in case...)
 > ifconfig wlan0 up
 > sleep 1
 > ifconfig wlan0 scan
 >
 > I have seen it take a second for results to be available, i.e. "up
scan" returns no list.

Didn't make any difference
3 access points, one in 802.11N & G mode with WPA2 personal running on
channel 3, mifi running on channel 1 with WPA2 personal (running in B/G
mode if I remember right & my macbook pro running on channel 5 with no
encryption, unable to find anything.

 > Re: errors:
 > Did you by chance build the module along with kernel or separately?

module is currently installed via a separate build but the errors
happened during buildkernel.

Sevan / Venture37

On 03/11/12 09:56, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 11/03/2012 04:07, matt wrote:
>> What several errors? Compiles fine against head...are you compiling
>> against 9? clang?
>> Or is the patch dumping the modules and dev folder out early?
>> Confused...it worked fine here...I admit my patch-fu is weak :).
>
> Cosmetic:
> Some files use CR/LF
> duplicate code in header files (updated a couple of hours ago)
>
> Show stoppers:
> in if_ral_pci.c the RT2860 includes, PCI_* constants & ral_rt2860_opns
> data structure declarations were truncated onto single lines
> in rt2860.c contained duplicate code which caused redeclaration errors
> during compilation
>
>> Looks good on attach though...I only have a 1t1r so it's nice to see
>> something else attach.
>
> I now understand why you mentioned APs running on channels above 9 :)
>

> On 11/03/2012 04:15, matt wrote:
> > Re access points...try "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ral0"
> > ifconfig ral0 up (just in case...)
> > ifconfig wlan0 up
> > sleep 1
> > ifconfig wlan0 scan
> >
> > I have seen it take a second for results to be available, i.e. "up
> scan" returns no list.
>
> Didn't make any difference
> 3 access points, one in 802.11N & G mode with WPA2 personal running on
> channel 3, mifi running on channel 1 with WPA2 personal (running in
> B/G mode if I remember right & my macbook pro running on channel 5
> with no encryption, unable to find anything.
>
> > Re: errors:
> > Did you by chance build the module along with kernel or separately?
>
> module is currently installed via a separate build but the errors
> happened during buildkernel.
>

> Sevan / Venture37
> "[hidden email]"
I'm going to fix the patch and repost. I'm definitely getting issues
with ^M with the gzipped version of the patch, which is causing line
truncation.

I'll post a new one in a bit. If you want to help, would you be ok with
git as opposed to hg?

Thanks!

Matt

Re: Please Test: Updated Ral Driver Patch for rt2860/rt3090

Adrian Chadd-2
Is this a standalone git repo, versus the whole tree?

Adrian

On 11/03/2012 20:17, matt wrote:
> I'm going to fix the patch and repost. I'm definitely getting issues
> with ^M with the gzipped version of the patch, which is causing line
> truncation.

Save yourself the hassle, all the files minus repo data are here
https://bitbucket.org/sevan/ral/get/0154bc33c029.tar.gz

> I'll post a new one in a bit. If you want to help, would you be ok with
> git as opposed to hg?

nope not at all but if its because of familiarity then in this scenario
it doesn't make much difference which is used, same work flow, change,
commit, push, pull, rinse, repeat. :)

Sevan

On 11 March 2012 14:10, Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'll post a new one in a bit. If you want to help, would you be ok with
>> git as opposed to hg?
>

> nope not at all but if its because of familiarity then in this scenario it
> doesn't make much difference which is used, same work flow, change, commit,
> push, pull, rinse, repeat. :)

Hiya,

Let's just strip the ^M's from the tree and as long as ray@ and
pseudocyclon are a-ok with the work thus far, I'll commit it to -HEAD.

We can then tidy things up from there.

I just don't want to commit ^M's to the tree, or blatant style(9)
violations. But we can always tidy things up incrementally once
they're in the tree.

Adrian
123