Quantcast

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Audio

Bugzilla from richard@sigil.org
I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is detected by snd_uaudio just fine (and webcamd, too!).
The issue, though, is that I cannot manage the recording volume.  I really only care about
muting/unmuting, but mixer doesn't think there are any recording devices on this device:

+% mixer -f /dev/mixer9
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0

I can change all the volumes to 0, and I can still record.  'mixer +rec' doesn't work for any of the
three devices on this mixer:

mixer: unknown recording device: mic

Any clue what I can do to make snd_uaudio know that this is a recording device?

Cheers,

--

Richard Kolkovich
http://www.sigil.org

Re: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Audio

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:53:28PM -0600, Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is detected by snd_uaudio just fine (and webcamd, too!).
> The issue, though, is that I cannot manage the recording volume.  I really only care about
> muting/unmuting, but mixer doesn't think there are any recording devices on this device:

Looking into this again, it appears that the mixer *does* control the volume as expected - but 0 is
not muted. If I set the mic volume to levels > 0, it is noticably louder. I cannot, of course, set
it to a negative number. :)

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior on other audio devices (USB or not...)? Any ideas how to
resolve it?

Cheers,

--

Richard Kolkovich
http://www.sigil.org
PGP Key: 0x9E54EF59 (http://pgp.mit.edu)

Re: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Audio

Hans Petter Selasky
On Wednesday 20 April 2011 21:12:57 Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:53:28PM -0600, Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> > I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is detected by snd_uaudio just
> > fine (and webcamd, too!). The issue, though, is that I cannot manage the
> > recording volume.  I really only care about
>
> > muting/unmuting, but mixer doesn't think there are any recording devices
on this device:
> Looking into this again, it appears that the mixer *does* control the
> volume as expected - but 0 is not muted. If I set the mic volume to levels
> > 0, it is noticably louder. I cannot, of course, set it to a negative
> number. :)
>
> Has anyone seen this sort of behavior on other audio devices (USB or
> not...)? Any ideas how to resolve it?
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

Have a look at /sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio.c .

USB Mixer control's range are part of the audio descriptors in the
configuration descriptor. If 0 does not mean off, then maybe some bias value
is computed wrong.

Compile kernel with options USB_DEBUG and enable hw.usb.uaudio.debug=15

Then look in dmesg for minimum and maximum mixer ctl. values.

--HPS

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 09:47:43PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 April 2011 21:12:57 Richard Kolkovich wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Have a look at /sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio.c .
>
> USB Mixer control's range are part of the audio descriptors in the
> configuration descriptor. If 0 does not mean off, then maybe some bias value
> is computed wrong.
>
> Compile kernel with options USB_DEBUG and enable hw.usb.uaudio.debug=15
>
> Then look in dmesg for minimum and maximum mixer ctl. values.
>
> --HPS
I've attached the dmesg from plugging the camera in.

I also have a Logitech USB microphone which has proper volume control. The min/max values are an
order of magnitude apart (50688 and 5120), and the resulting resolution is 256. Not sure if that
helps, but I've attached the dmesg from the mic as well.

Cheers,

--

Richard Kolkovich
http://www.sigil.org
PGP Key: 0x9E54EF59 (http://pgp.mit.edu)

camera (3K) Download Attachment
mic (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Audio

Viktor Ivanov-2
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Richard Kolkovich <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:53:28PM -0600, Richard Kolkovich wrote:
> > I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is detected by snd_uaudio just
> fine (and webcamd, too!).
> > The issue, though, is that I cannot manage the recording volume.  I
> really only care about
> > muting/unmuting, but mixer doesn't think there are any recording devices
> on this device:
>
> Looking into this again, it appears that the mixer *does* control the
> volume as expected - but 0 is
> not muted. If I set the mic volume to levels > 0, it is noticably louder. I
> cannot, of course, set
> it to a negative number. :)
>
> Has anyone seen this sort of behavior on other audio devices (USB or
> not...)? Any ideas how to
> resolve it?

The device behaves the same way on all platforms as far as I know. I can at
least confirm this
on Windows Vista and Windows 7.