Quantcast

VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Craig Rodrigues
Hi,

I am trying to run FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
inside VirtualBox and am having some problems.

The error messages I am getting are similar to the ones mentioned here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-December/065079.html




My host environment
===================

Operating System: Windows 7, home edition, 64-bit
VirtualBox for Windows, version 4.1.12 r77245

CPU Information
================

I downloaded the CoreInfo.exe utility which is part of Windows
Sysinternals utilities
( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027 )

According to this utility, my CPU is:
============================================================
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5450  @ 1.66GHz
    Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13, GenuineIntel
    HTT       * Hyperthreading enabled
    HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
    VMX       - Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
    SVM       - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
    EM64T     * Supports 64-bit mode
============================================================

So my CPU support 64-bit mode, but does not support hardware-assisted
virtualization.



Error message
=============
If I try to mount and then boot it under VirtualBox, I get this error:

   CPU doesn't support long mode

   Consoles: internal video/keyboard
   BIOS drive C: is disk0
   BIOS 639kB/523264kB available memory

   FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
   ([hidden email], Tue Jan  3 06:51:49 UTC 2012)
   Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
   Guess BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
   FATAL: int13_harddisk: function 42. Can't use 64bits lba



Does anyone know how to fix this problem in VirtualBox?




QEMU for Windows
================

Just to try something else, I downloaded QEMU 0.9.0 for Windows from:

http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

I extracted the zip file into a directory:  C:\local\qemu-0.9.0-windows

I then ran:

   cd c:\local\qemu-0.9.0-windows
   qemu-system-x86_64.exe -L . -m 128 -cdrom
c:\temp\FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

The ISO booted up just fine.  From the dmesg output, this was the emulated CPU:

   CPU: QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.0 (1666.98-MHz K8-class CPU)
    Origin = "AuthenticAMD" Id = 0x623 Family = 6 Model = 2 Stepping = 3
    Features=0x78bfbfd<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,SE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
    Features2=0x1<SSE3>
    AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>




Does anyone know how I can get VirtualBox to behave the same way
as QEMU for FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso?

Thanks.

--
Craig Rodrigues
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Bernhard Fröhlich-2
On 16.04.2012 09:08, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
> inside VirtualBox and am having some problems.
>
> The error messages I am getting are similar to the ones mentioned
> here:
>
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-December/065079.html
>
> [snip]
>
> Error message
> =============
> If I try to mount and then boot it under VirtualBox, I get this
> error:
>
>    CPU doesn't support long mode
>
>    Consoles: internal video/keyboard
>    BIOS drive C: is disk0
>    BIOS 639kB/523264kB available memory
>
>    FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>    ([hidden email], Tue Jan  3 06:51:49 UTC 2012)
>    Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>    Guess BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to
> disk0:
>    FATAL: int13_harddisk: function 42. Can't use 64bits lba

Please create a new VM with preset Operating System "BSD" and Version
"FreeBSD (64 bit)".

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Craig Rodrigues
In reply to this post by Craig Rodrigues
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Craig Rodrigues
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> My host environment
> ===================
>
> Operating System: Windows 7, home edition, 64-bit
> VirtualBox for Windows, version 4.1.12 r77245
>
> CPU Information
> ================
>
> I downloaded the CoreInfo.exe utility which is part of Windows
> Sysinternals utilities
> ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027 )
>
> According to this utility, my CPU is:
> ============================================================
>    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5450  @ 1.66GHz
>    Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13, GenuineIntel
>    HTT         *       Hyperthreading enabled
>    HYPERVISOR  -       Hypervisor is present
>    VMX         -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
>    SVM         -       Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
>    EM64T       *       Supports 64-bit mode
> ============================================================
>
> So my CPU support 64-bit mode, but does not support hardware-assisted
> virtualization.
>
>
>
> Error message
> =============
> If I try to mount and then boot it under VirtualBox, I get this error:
>
>   CPU doesn't support long mode
>
>   Consoles: internal video/keyboard
>   BIOS drive C: is disk0
>   BIOS 639kB/523264kB available memory
>
>   FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>   ([hidden email], Tue Jan  3 06:51:49 UTC 2012)
>   Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>   Guess BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>   FATAL: int13_harddisk: function 42. Can't use 64bits lba
>
>
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem in VirtualBox?


Hi,

After exchanging a few e-mails with Bernard, I think I understand the problem.
According to the VirtualBox manual:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#intro-64bitguests

The CPU needs to support hardware-assisted virtualization in order for
VirtualBox to support 64-bit guests.
Without the CPU support, VirtualBox cannot do it.  I double checked
this with CoreInfo.exe from Windows Sysinternals utilities,
and also from the Intel data sheet for my CPU:

http://ark.intel.com/products/30787
(VT-x option not supported)


I will use QEMU under Windows until I can get a better machine. :)

--
Craig Rodrigues
[hidden email]



--
Craig Rodrigues
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Adam Vande More
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Craig Rodrigues <[hidden email]>wrote:

> After exchanging a few e-mails with Bernard, I think I understand the
> problem.
> According to the VirtualBox manual:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#intro-64bitguests
>
> The CPU needs to support hardware-assisted virtualization in order for
> VirtualBox to support 64-bit guests.
> Without the CPU support, VirtualBox cannot do it.  I double checked
> this with CoreInfo.exe from Windows Sysinternals utilities,
> and also from the Intel data sheet for my CPU:
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/30787
> (VT-x option not supported)
>
>
> I will use QEMU under Windows until I can get a better machine. :)
>

I believe a Windows 7 product key will activate either 32 or 64 install, so
unless you have a specific reason to install 64 bit then you are likely
better using 32 anyway.  32 bit OS's and apps use less memory than their
corresponding 64 bit counterparts.



--
Adam Vande More
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: VirtualBox problem booting FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

Craig Rodrigues
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Adam Vande More <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Craig Rodrigues <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> After exchanging a few e-mails with Bernard, I think I understand the
>> problem.
>> According to the VirtualBox manual:
>>
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#intro-64bitguests
>>
>> The CPU needs to support hardware-assisted virtualization in order for
>> VirtualBox to support 64-bit guests.
>> Without the CPU support, VirtualBox cannot do it.  I double checked
>> this with CoreInfo.exe from Windows Sysinternals utilities,
>> and also from the Intel data sheet for my CPU:
>>
>> http://ark.intel.com/products/30787
>> (VT-x option not supported)
>>
>>
>> I will use QEMU under Windows until I can get a better machine. :)
>
>
> I believe a Windows 7 product key will activate either 32 or 64 install, so
> unless you have a specific reason to install 64 bit then you are likely
> better using 32 anyway.  32 bit OS's and apps use less memory than their
> corresponding 64 bit counterparts.
>
>
>
> --
> Adam Vande More


Hi,

Yes, you are right.  Windows 7 comes on 2-DVD's, one for 32-bit and one for
64-bit.  The same product key can be used for either version.

I had installed 64-bit Windows with the intent of testing out 64-bit guest
OS's under FreeBSD, and was unaware of the requirements for
hardware assisted virtualization. :)
I am interested in developing and testing 32-bit and 64-bit Windows binaries
anyways, so I will keep my install for now. :)

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Loading...