Quantcast

Virtualbox and bridged interface.

Patrick Lamaiziere
Hi, Happy new year.

(FreeBSD 8/i386 - latest test version of VB)

Is there someone able to make VirtualBox working with a bridged
interface?

I've got :
My gateway/access point on 192.168.1.1/24
The host on 192.168.1.20/24 via wifi (wlan0)
The guest on 192.168.1.25/24 bridged with wlan0

From the guest I can ping the host without problem and vice versa. But
the guest is not able to reach my gateway.

With Wireshark listening on wlan0, I can see that the guest is doing
some ARP requests to get the mac address of the gateway. But there is no
reply.

No firewall, net.inet.ip_forwarding=1 (not sure if this is mandatory)

Any idea?

Thanks! Regards.

Re: Virtualbox and bridged interface.

J.D. Bronson-8

Just a shot in the dark here...

MAC Authentication?

I was running FREEBSD inside virtualbox on a macbook
and was using 'bridged' networking.

If I didnt list the 'fake' mac address in the FREEBSD virtual
inside my Access point - I was going nowhere.

Took me awhile to figure out why I wasnt going anywhere...

--
J.D. Bronson
Information Technology

Re: Virtualbox and bridged interface.

Adam Vande More
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Patrick Lamaiziere <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi, Happy new year.
>
> (FreeBSD 8/i386 - latest test version of VB)
>
> Is there someone able to make VirtualBox working with a bridged
> interface?
>
> I've got :
> My gateway/access point on 192.168.1.1/24
> The host on 192.168.1.20/24 via wifi (wlan0)
> The guest on 192.168.1.25/24 bridged with wlan0
>
> From the guest I can ping the host without problem and vice versa. But
> the guest is not able to reach my gateway.
>
> With Wireshark listening on wlan0, I can see that the guest is doing
> some ARP requests to get the mac address of the gateway. But there is no
> reply.
>
> No firewall, net.inet.ip_forwarding=1 (not sure if this is mandatory)
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks! Regards.

Bridged networking doesn't work on wireless interfaces.

--
Adam Vande More

Re: Virtualbox and bridged interface.

Patrick Lamaiziere
Le Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:36:30 -0600,
Adam Vande More <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > Is there someone able to make VirtualBox working with a bridged
> > interface?
> >
> > I've got :
> > My gateway/access point on 192.168.1.1/24
> > The host on 192.168.1.20/24 via wifi (wlan0)
> > The guest on 192.168.1.25/24 bridged with wlan0

> Bridged networking doesn't work on wireless interfaces.

Ah ok :(

I would be happy to know why, briefly. Is it a limitation in the
wireless connection or a limitation in the operating system (FreeBSD)?

I've used some bridged guests on Mac OS X and vmware fusion but I don't
remember if I used the ethernet or the wireless interface.

To J.D.Bronson: no mac authentication here, thanks for the "shot in the
dark" anyway.

So I will try to setup a vpn between the host and the guest.

 All the info I have, http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

--
Adam Vande More

Re: Virtualbox and bridged interface.

Juergen Lock-2
In article <[hidden email]> you write:

>Le Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:36:30 -0600,
>Adam Vande More <[hidden email]> a =E9crit :
>
>> > Is there someone able to make VirtualBox working with a bridged
>> > interface?
>> >
>> > I've got :
>> > My gateway/access point on 192.168.1.1/24
>> > The host on 192.168.1.20/24 via wifi (wlan0)
>> > The guest on 192.168.1.25/24 bridged with wlan0
>
>> Bridged networking doesn't work on wireless interfaces.
>
>Ah ok :(
>
>I would be happy to know why, briefly. Is it a limitation in the
>wireless connection or a limitation in the operating system (FreeBSD)?

The problem is caused by the fact that hosts on wifi can usually only
use a single mac address, and while the vbox code does contain a
`shared mac' feature thats supposed to work around this problem this
feature hasn't been ported for FreeBSD hosts yet.

>I've used some bridged guests on Mac OS X and vmware fusion but I don't
>remember if I used the ethernet or the wireless interface.
>
>To J.D.Bronson: no mac authentication here, thanks for the "shot in the
>dark" anyway.
>
>So I will try to setup a vpn between the host and the guest.

 There is another workaround tho that you can try involving a tap
interface, routing, proxy arp, and a patch to vbox to enable direct
tap networking,
        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/vbox/patch-tapdirect.txt
more details including a config example in this post:
        http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007260.html
(I patched vbox 3.1.2 thats not commtted to ports yet, it's possible
the patch doesn't apply to the older version in ports.  The latest vbox
3.1.2 Call for testing is here:
        http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007241.html
The patch can go in that port's files/ dir.)

 HTH,
        Juergen

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 08:15:58PM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]> you write:
> >Le Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:36:30 -0600,
> >Adam Vande More <[hidden email]> a =E9crit :

> >> Bridged networking doesn't work on wireless interfaces.
> >
> >Ah ok :(
> >
> >I would be happy to know why, briefly. Is it a limitation in the
> >wireless connection or a limitation in the operating system (FreeBSD)?
> >
> The problem is caused by the fact that hosts on wifi can usually only
> use a single mac address, and while the vbox code does contain a
> `shared mac' feature thats supposed to work around this problem this
> feature hasn't been ported for FreeBSD hosts yet.
>
> >I've used some bridged guests on Mac OS X and vmware fusion but I don't
> >remember if I used the ethernet or the wireless interface.
> >
> >To J.D.Bronson: no mac authentication here, thanks for the "shot in the
> >dark" anyway.
> >
> >So I will try to setup a vpn between the host and the guest.
>
>  There is another workaround tho that you can try involving a tap
> interface, routing, proxy arp, and a patch to vbox to enable direct
> tap networking,
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/vbox/patch-tapdirect.txt
> more details including a config example in this post:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007260.html
> (I patched vbox 3.1.2 thats not commtted to ports yet, it's possible
> the patch doesn't apply to the older version in ports.  The latest vbox
> 3.1.2 Call for testing is here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2010-January/007241.html
> The patch can go in that port's files/ dir.)

All committed to ports now, including the shared mac feature so bridged
mode on wifi should now work in the new emulators/virtualbox-ose* ports:
        http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201001130803.o0D83HFe012322@...

 Please see http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox for update instructions.

 Enjoy, :)
        Juergen