Quantcast

Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Jacques Fourie-2
Hi,

I have a HP/Compaq nw8240 notebook that has an ATI Mobility Radeon
X700 chipset. I couldn't find any X11 drivers (except vesa) that works
with this chipset and the previous fglrx-on-freebsd effort does not
have support for the later Xorg versions such as the one found in
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Luckily I managed to get the latest driver for
Linux to work - no 3D acceleration but 2D and Xvideo works fine. I can
now work at 1920x1200 and use mplayer in fullscreen mode so I'm happy.
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
help of libmap.conf.

regards,
Jacques

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Jacques Fourie-2
I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
if possible.

Jacques

>  The x700 is supported by the 'radeon' driver, including 3D (good
>  enough to run compiz) and Xvideo.  I currently use that on this
>  machine.  Did you try that driver?
>
>  Adam
>

>  On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:35:39 +0200
>  "Jacques Fourie" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I have a HP/Compaq nw8240 notebook that has an ATI Mobility Radeon
>  > X700 chipset. I couldn't find any X11 drivers (except vesa) that works
>  > with this chipset and the previous fglrx-on-freebsd effort does not
>  > have support for the later Xorg versions such as the one found in
>  > FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Luckily I managed to get the latest driver for
>  > Linux to work - no 3D acceleration but 2D and Xvideo works fine. I can
>  > now work at 1920x1200 and use mplayer in fullscreen mode so I'm happy.
>  > If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
>  > to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
>  > wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
>  > help of libmap.conf.
>  >
>  > regards,
>  > Jacques
>  > [hidden email] mailing list
>  > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
>  > To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>  >
>

>  --
>  Adam K Kirchhoff
>  Digital Color Image
>  5055 Central Highway
>  Pennsauken, NJ 08109
>  Phone: 856-662-5532
>  Fax: 856-662-0344
>
>  --
>  This message has been scanned for viruses and
>  dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>  believed to be clean.

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Robert Noland-4
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
> start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
> give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
> if possible.

What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?

robert.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
>  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
>  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
>  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
>  > if possible.
>
>  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
>
>  robert.

Here is the relevant output from pciconf.

vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
    device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I tried version 6.8.0 of the radeon driver as well as 6.7.196. I also
tried various Xorg config settings such as specifying mode lines and
sync ranges but no luck.

Jacques

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Coleman Kane-4
On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:55 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
> >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
> >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
> >  > if possible.
> >
> >  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
> >
> >  robert.
> >

> Here is the relevant output from pciconf.
>
> vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA
>
> I tried version 6.8.0 of the radeon driver as well as 6.7.196. I also
> tried various Xorg config settings such as specifying mode lines and
> sync ranges but no luck.
>
> Jacques
Have you tried contacting [hidden email] or filing a PR on
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ ?

--
Coleman Kane

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Gary Jennejohn-3
On Fri, 2 May 2008 11:55:03 +0200
"Jacques Fourie" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
> >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
> >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
> >  > if possible.
> >
> >  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
> >
> >  robert.
> >

> Here is the relevant output from pciconf.
>
> vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA
>
> I tried version 6.8.0 of the radeon driver as well as 6.7.196. I also
> tried various Xorg config settings such as specifying mode lines and
> sync ranges but no luck.

I don't know whether this helps, but the radeon man page states that the
driver supports the X700, but not necessarily the mobility version.
I don't know whether the M26 PCIE is the mobility version or not.

Linux users seem to have lots of problems with this chip too, as revealed
by a quick google search.

---
Gary Jennejohn

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Jacques Fourie-2
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Gary Jennejohn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2008 11:55:03 +0200
>
> "Jacques Fourie" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
>  > >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
>  > >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
>  > >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
>  > >  > if possible.
>  > >
>  > >  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
>  > >
>  > >  robert.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Here is the relevant output from pciconf.
>  >
>  > vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
>  > rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>  >     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>  >     device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
>  >     class      = display
>  >     subclass   = VGA
>  >
>  > I tried version 6.8.0 of the radeon driver as well as 6.7.196. I also
>  > tried various Xorg config settings such as specifying mode lines and
>  > sync ranges but no luck.
>  >
>
>  I don't know whether this helps, but the radeon man page states that the
>  driver supports the X700, but not necessarily the mobility version.
>  I don't know whether the M26 PCIE is the mobility version or not.
>
>  Linux users seem to have lots of problems with this chip too, as revealed
>  by a quick google search.
>
>  ---
>  Gary Jennejohn

The X700 in my notebook is the mobility version, so I guess that's why
the radeon driver doesn't work for me.

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 16:50 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Gary Jennejohn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 May 2008 11:55:03 +0200
> >
> > "Jacques Fourie" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  > > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> >  > >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
> >  > >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
> >  > >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
> >  > >  > if possible.
> >  > >
> >  > >  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
> >  > >
> >  > >  robert.
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > Here is the relevant output from pciconf.
> >  >
> >  > vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
> >  > rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> >  >     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
> >  >     device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
> >  >     class      = display
> >  >     subclass   = VGA

The drm drivers at least should correctly recognize this card, at least
in -current.  xf86-video-ati 6.8.0 should also properly recognize this
chip.  Are you saying that it isn't being recognized by the driver, or
that it doesn't function properly once it is probed?

robert.

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:19 -0400, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 16:50 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Gary Jennejohn
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > >  > > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> > >  > >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
> > >  > >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
> > >  > >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
> > >  > >  > if possible.

Ok, I'm being a little slow this morning.  What sort of artifacts?  Can
you show an xorg log with the radeon driver?

robert.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  > > >
>  > > >  Linux users seem to have lots of problems with this chip too, as revealed
>  > > >  by a quick google search.
>  > > >
>  > > >  ---
>  > > >  Gary Jennejohn
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > The X700 in my notebook is the mobility version, so I guess that's why
>  > > the radeon driver doesn't work for me.
>  > > _______________________________________________
>  > > [hidden email] mailing list
>  > > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
>  > > To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>  >
>  > [hidden email] mailing list
>  > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-x11
>  > To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

Usually When X starts I see red and white lines at the top of the
display. I can start xterms and see the mouse cursor change when I
move the mouse over them but nothing else. I say usually because I
just booted the notebook into FreeBSD after using Windows on it and
now I see remnants from my Windows session on the display.

I'll put my Xorg log somewhere and post a link.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Coleman Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:55 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
>  > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robert Noland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:19 +0200, Jacques Fourie wrote:
>  > >  > I tried the radeon driver but somehow couldn't get it to work. If I
>  > >  > start X the screen displays some strange looking artifacts :). I'll
>  > >  > give it another go - I'll definitely prefer running the radeon driver
>  > >  > if possible.
>  > >
>  > >  What does pciconf -lv show for your hardware?
>  > >
>  > >  robert.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Here is the relevant output from pciconf.
>  >
>  > vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0934103c chip=0x56531002
>  > rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>  >     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>  >     device     = 'Mobility Radeon X700'
>  >     class      = display
>  >     subclass   = VGA
>  >
>  > I tried version 6.8.0 of the radeon driver as well as 6.7.196. I also
>  > tried various Xorg config settings such as specifying mode lines and
>  > sync ranges but no luck.
>  >
>  > Jacques
>
>  Have you tried contacting [hidden email] or filing a PR on
>  http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ ?
>
>  --
>  Coleman Kane

I'll do that once I've uploaded my xorg log somewhere.

Jacques

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Adam K Kirchhoff
On Fri, 2 May 2008 17:56:02 +0200
"Jacques Fourie" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Usually When X starts I see red and white lines at the top of the
> display. I can start xterms and see the mouse cursor change when I
> move the mouse over them but nothing else. I say usually because I
> just booted the notebook into FreeBSD after using Windows on it and
> now I see remnants from my Windows session on the display.

Check to see if you have the same problem if you don't load the 'dri'
module in your xorg.conf file.  It'd be interesting to see if this is
just a 2D driver problem, or a 3D one.

Adam

believed to be clean.

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

SammyG

Jacques Fourie-2 wrote
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
help of libmap.conf.
This is a bit late, but I would be very grateful to know. I'm a complete novice to Unix-like operating systems and trying to make 2d-accleration work for my Radeon 9600 & P4P800 board on FreeBSD 7.0-Release. Since my eyes can't stand tearing, I was thinking about switching to Linux...
I don't know if this will help, but I also had some arifacts(though quite different from yours) and I somehow managed to remove them by setting the right horizontal&vertial refresh rates values for my monitor in xorgconfig tool, at least for 1024x768 mode. I didn't have to manually add or remove any kernel modules in xorg.conf or /boot/loader.conf. Unfortunately, the open-source generic radeon driver doesn't seem to support 2d-accleration... Since X700 is in R400 family, and radeonhd driver is supposed to only work with R500 and newer chipsets, This would probably be your case, too. (But tearing is just bearly noticeable in mplayer... this is strange, maybe because of double-buffering?)
But my version of Xorg is a bit out of date, so things could be different with the latest version.

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 14:54:08 SammyG wrote:

> Jacques Fourie-2 wrote:
> > If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
> > to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
> > wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
> > help of libmap.conf.
>
> This is a bit late, but I would be very grateful to know. I'm a complete
> novice to Unix-like operating systems and trying to make 2d-accleration
> work for my Radeon 9600 & P4P800 board on FreeBSD 7.0-Release. Since my
> eyes can't stand tearing, I was thinking about switching to Linux...
> I don't know if this will help, but I also had some arifacts(though quite
> different from yours) and I somehow managed to remove them by setting the
> right horizontal&vertial refresh rates values for my monitor in xorgconfig
> tool, at least for 1024x768 mode. I didn't have to manually add or remove
> any kernel modules in xorg.conf or /boot/loader.conf. Unfortunately, the
> open-source generic radeon driver doesn't seem to support 2d-accleration...

That is not the case at all.  The radeon driver supports 2D acceleration (and
3D acceleration) on all r100 through r500 cards these days.

Adam

believed to be clean.

Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

SammyG

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote
That is not the case at all.  The radeon driver supports 2D acceleration (and
3D acceleration) on all r100 through r500 cards these days.
I've just tried to edit my xorg.conf with this faq:

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

at the end of this faq is written : 'See also : Xorg 7.1 Manual - X.org 7.1 official documentation'
And the version of xorg package included in FreeBSD 7.0-Release is 7.3, so this means Radeon 9600 must have 2d-accleration support with this driver, as you said.
but it looks like my card isn't probed by both ati and radeon drivers.
dmesg shows a line with both 'drm0' and 'Radeon9600', but after i startx, X log says:
'RADEON : ...... device can't be probed on pci:1:0:0.'

'pciconf -lv' also lists my Radeon 9600 card correctly, on pci0:1:0:0 and pci0:1:0:1.
I tried changing the value of pci in xorg.conf too, but it doesn't work.

I'd like to copy my entire log here, but my network device doesn't seem to work with freebsd : it works with uath driver in Linux, but uath isn't yet supported by both native driver and ndis wrapper in FreeBSD. And my windowz hard disk hangs from time to time for some unknown reason even if I mount it in read-only mode, so i woudn't dare write on it...
So bear with me please.

Marat N.Afanasyev, your post was classed as spam :

Marat N.Afanasyev wrote
try to update xf86-video-radeon to, at least, 6.9.0 version. you will be surprised.
--
SY, Marat
my version of xf86-video-ati is 6.7.195. Now, I'll have to track all dependencies in order to compiile tis port, and download them one by one in windows.. so I think I'll skip this, unless someone give me link where the dependency tree is well documented. Okay, i'll try your solution when i get my network working...